Rich and savoury with juicy bites of mushrooms, this Easy Vegan Mushroom Gravy is a must! Perfect to pour over your mashed potatoes for thanksgiving or any occasion! Easily gluten free! Vegetarian.
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional) I use grapeseed oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 lb (227 grams) regular or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped (don’t skimp)
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour or gluten free blend
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ‘Better than Beef Bouillon No beef soup Base’
- 2 tablespoons Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large non stick skillet on medium heat. Add the onions, mushrooms and oil (or water/veggie stock). Saute for 5-7 minutes or so, until the onions are browning and soft and mushrooms are cooked. Then add the garlic and a pinch of salt & pepper. Cook for another minute. Transfer half of the mushroom mixture to small bowl, set aside.
- Now add the rosemary, fennel, poultry seasoning and flour to the pan with the remaining mushrooms and onions and stir together (it will be crumbly don’t worry) Now add in the water and the rest of ingredients to pan ( except mushrooms & onions you set aside earlier). Whisk until all the flour is incorporated.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a good simmer and cook uncovered for 3-5 minutes until gravy has thickened and flour has cooked out.
- Add gravy to blender and process until smooth. Return gravy to the pan and add the reserved mushroom garlic mixture. Reheat if necessary.
- Season with salt & pepper if necessary. Enjoy!
- if you’d like more of a bite to your gravy you can stir in 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or mustard to your cooked gravy.
- for a richer gravy stir in 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- this is not a super thick gravy, if you’d like it thicker puree everything or add an extra tablespoon of flour
How do you thicken gravy?
There are a few ways to thicken gravy:
- For this recipe I stirred in the flour with the cooked onions and mushrooms before adding the cold veggie stock (bouillon and water). I also pureed a portion of the gravy which helps to thicken it naturally.
- make a roux, which consist of butter and flour that is cooked together in the pan or mixed in a bowl to form a paste and then added to the gravy and simmered until thickened.
- There is also a slurry which consists of flour (or cornstarch) mixed with water. Gluten free flour blend can be used in place of flour.
- boxed potato flakes or mashed potatoes can also be used to thicken gravies and soups.
Keywords: vegan mushroom gravy, easy vegan mushroom gravy, vegan gravy, rich, savoury, thanksgiving, holidays, mashed potatoes, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free,