Rich and creamy with juicy bites of mushrooms, this Vegan Mushroom Gravy is easy to make and the best sauce to pour over mashed potatoes and vegan turkey! Gluten free, oil free option! Vegetarian.
Who would’ve thought a plant based gravy could be so good! Well this vegan mushroom gravy is just that! Really GOOD! It will will have meat eaters coming back for seconds, that’s how delicious it is! I love everything about this simple mushroom gravy recipe!!
The primary ingredient is mushrooms! Yay! So if you don't like them -hmm I don't know what to say! skip right on by I guess, lol😬
I actually have this gravy recipe on my blog already, it’s posted with my Seitan Salsbury Steak. Being that is such an amazing and versatile sauce I had to give it its very own post!
It is such a flavourful addition to so many dishes for the holidays, like thanksgiving in October (I'm Canadian ours isn't in November), Christmas or anytime.
Delicious with french fries, breakfast home fries, Buddha bowls, pasta, poutine, etc… Hope you enjoy this gravy as much as myself and my family❤️
What are the ingredients in Vegan Mushroom Gravy?
- Oil (optional)
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Braggs liquid aminos
- All purpose Flour or gluten free
- Nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
How do you thicken gravy?
There are a few ways to thicken gravy:
- For this recipe I stirred in the flour with the cooked onions and mushrooms before adding the cold veggie stock (bouillon and water). I also pureed the gravy which helps to thicken it naturally.
- make a roux, which consist of butter and flour that is cooked together in the pan or mixed in a bowl to form a paste and then added to the gravy and simmered until thickened.
- There is also a slurry which consists of flour (or cornstarch) mixed with water. Gluten free flour blend can be used in place of flour.
- boxed potato flakes or mashed potatoes can also be used to thicken gravies and soups.
How do you make Vegan Mushroom Gravy?
Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, mushrooms and oil (or water/veggie stock). Saute for 5-7 minutes or so, until the onions are browning and soft and mushrooms are cooked. Then add the garlic and a pinch of salt & pepper. Cook for another minute. Transfer half of the mushroom mixture to small bowl, set aside.
Now add the spices and flour to the pan with the remaining mushrooms and onions and stir together (it will be crumbly don’t worry) Now add the rest of ingredients to pan ( except mushrooms & onions you set aside earlier). Whisk until all the flour is incorporated.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a good simmer and cook uncovered for 3-5 minutes until gravy has thickened and flour has cooked out.
Add gravy to blender and process until smooth. Return gravy to the pan and add the reserved mushroom garlic mixture. Reheat if necessary.
Season with salt & pepper if necessary. Enjoy!
For full recipe instructions and ingredients see recipe card below.
Ok let's make some mushroom gravy, it's:
rich and savoury
full of mushrooms
delicious with mashed potatoes
easy to make
easily gluten free
Enjoy guys! Happy day to you? feel free to leave a comment and a rating below. I would love to hear from you.
What to serve with Vegan Gravy?
- Vegan Turkey Recipe (Seitan)
Vegan Mashed Potatoes (Instant Pot)
- Perfect Vegan Stuffing
- Best Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Best Home Fries Recipe (Breakfast potatoes)
- Vegetarian Salsbury Steak (Vegan) (Meatball version)