Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff: Tender beefy mushrooms, simmered in a rich savoury sour cream gravy, No one will believe it’s dairy free and vegan!! Nut free too (no cashews)
- 8 oz (1/2 lb) uncooked pasta, I usually use rotini noodles or eggless broad noodles*
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, I use Earth Balance
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2– 4 cloves garlic, chopped, add even more if you love garlic😊
- 12 oz (3/4 lb) sliced mushrooms, Cremini mushrooms or white mushrooms
- 1 cup plant based meatless crumbles, I use Gardein beefless ground (see notes for options)*
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese, I used Daiya
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Vegetarian Better Than Bouillon No beef Base
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium bowl whisk together the water, no beef bouillon, white wine, mustard, tamari, nutritional yeast, granulated onion, granulated garlic, thyme, black pepper and set aside (this makes it easier later)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain the pot, toss with a little olive oil and set aside
- While pasta is cooking set a large non stick skillet over medium heat, once hot add the diced onions and vegan butter. Saute for 3 minutes then add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms have cooked down.
- Now add the meatless crumbles and cook for 2-3 minutes until they are defrosted and crisping up a bit. Adjust the heat to medium low if you’re finding it to hot.
- Stir in the flour
- Now give the veggie stock liquid you set aside earlier another whisk and add to the skillet. Stir or whisk in the vegan cream cheese. Simmer for a couple of minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat season with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve over cooked pasta!
- Enjoy your stroganoff! I like serving this pasta dish all on its own for lunch or with baked sweet potatoes, green peas and a side salad for a full meal deal at dinner!
- Gluten free: use gluten free flour and gluten free pasta
- Use your favourite pasta, like rotini, eggless broad noodles, macaroni, fabulous with spaghetti or linguini noodles too!
- Pour mushroom sauce over mashed potatoes, rice, baked sweet potatoes or zucchini spirals (zoodles) instead of pasta
- I have used vegan sour cream in place of vegan cream cheese and was not a fan. I personally think the recipe is best as written! I have not tried tried this recipe using coconut milk.
- use your favourite meatless crumbles in place of Gardein or chop up some seitan. If using beyond beefless ground for the meat substitute, I would just fry it separately first.
- you could replace the bouillon and water with vegetable stock but the end result will not be near as tasty!
Keywords: vegan mushroom stroganoff, vegan beef stroganoff, vegan stroganoff,