Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff: beefy mushrooms, simmered in a hearty savoury sour cream gravy, poured over pasta. Delicious and easy comfort meal. Ready in 30 Minutes! Dairy free, nut free too (no cashews). Bon Appetite!
Mmm lets talk about my Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe!! Or should I call it Vegan ‘Beef' Stroganoff?? Oh dilemmas! Well it's a mixture of both, it's super easy and super tasty!I grew up eating stroganoff which usually consisted of ground beef (hamburger), sour cream and or cream of mushroom soup and of course pasta. Sometimes veggies were added to the pot too!
As an adult and cooking professionally my stroganoff got quite a bit fancier. Usually with the addition of pulled pork or beef added to the sauce.
So I wanted to create that slow cooked meaty flavour for my vegan stroganoff! I used no beef vegetable bouillon, some meatless crumbles, juicy mushrooms, herbs and spices!
For the creamy tang I used vegan cream cheese, white wine and dijon mustard, among other things.
Some recipes call for apple cider vinegar or lemon juice but mustard is what you want for that subtle zing!
I’m happy to report mine tastes pretty darn excellent, comes together in 30 minutes and is of course so much healthier that the meat version! We need to keep those cute little piggies and cows running around safely ❤️😊
FYI- you’ll probably eat too much!! And have to undo that top button -Or maybe just start with some stretchy pants! Lol! (That would be me😂)
So whether it’s December, February or June this plant based pasta dish is the best comfort food and will impress vegetarians and carnivores alike!!
Ok lets start cooking!!
How do you make Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff?
In a medium bowl whisk together the water, no beef bouillon, white wine, mustard, Tamari, nutritional yeast, granulated onion and garlic, thyme, black pepper and set aside (this makes it easier later)
Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain, toss with a little olive oil and set aside
While pasta is cooking set a large non stick skillet over medium heat, once hot add the diced onions and vegan butter. Saute for 3 minutes then add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms have cooked down.
Now add the meatless crumbles and cook for 2-3 minutes until they are defrosted and crisping up a bit. Adjust the heat to medium low if you’re finding it to hot. Stir in the flour
Now give the veggie stock liquid you set aside earlier a quick whisk and add to the skillet. Stir or whisk in the vegan cream cheese. Simmer for a couple of minutes until the sauce has thickened.
Remove from heat season with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve over cooked pasta!
Enjoy your stroganoff!
Can you freeze Mushroom Stroganoff?
You can freeze the stroganoff sauce but I don’t recommend freezing the noodles.
- Gluten free: use gluten free flour and gluten free pasta
- use your favourite pasta, like rotini, eggless broad noodles, macaroni, fabulous with spaghetti or linguini noodles too!
- pour mushroom sauce over mashed potatoes, rice, baked sweet potatoes or zucchini spirals (zoodles) instead of pasta
- I have used vegan sour cream in place of vegan cream cheese and was not a fan. I personally think the recipe is best as written! I have not tried tried this recipe using coconut milk.
- use your favourite meatless crumbles in place of Gardein or chop up some seitan. If using beyond beefless ground for the meat substitute, I would just fry it separately first.
- you could replace the bouillon and water with vegetable stock but the end result will not be near as tasty!
OK GUYS LETS MAKE SOME MUSHROOM STROGANOFF, IT'S
easily gluten free
perfect comfort food
full of protein
saucy and delicious!
full of mushrooms!
Enjoy guys! Happy day to you! feel free to leave a comment and a rating below. I would love to hear from you.
WANT MORE EASY VEGAN PASTA DISHES? CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES:
- Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Pasta (tomato sauce)
- The Ultimate Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Hamburger Helper (Instant Pot ot stovetop)
- Best Vegan Alfredo Sauce (Cashews)
- Best Vegan Bolognese Sauce Ever!
- Vegan Haluski (Cabbage and Noodles)
- Jalapeño Cheddar Vegan Mac and Cheese