Super Simple Vegan Pie Crust made in food processor in minutes! Buttery tender flaky shortcrust pastry perfect for sweet or savoury pies! Tried and true recipe! Easily doubled for double crust pie (top + bottom)
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cups cold vegan butter, I usually use Earth Balance buttery sticks (if using spreadable butter in the tub see notes*)
- 3 tablespoons to 1/4 cup ice water, I always use 1/4 cup
- First cube the butter into approximately 1 inch cubes or so, and set in fridge until needed (if using spreadable vegan butter in the tub see notes in recipe card*)
- Add flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder to the food processor pulse a few times to mix. Evenly drop butter over the flour. Pulse until the butter is the size of peas or a little bigger. I pulse 14 times
- Remove lid and pour water evenly over the top. Pulse until dough starts to come together. I pulse around 14-16 times. Should hold together when squeezed with your fingers. If not add another tablespoon or two of water.
- Dump dough on counter and form into a disk, don’t overwork dough. Place dough on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, lightly flour the top of dough and roll out to 12-13 inches in diameter (a couple inches bigger than your pie plate) add more flour if necessary if dough is sticking to rolling pin.
- Gently flip dough onto pie plate and remove parchment. Mold into the pie plate fixing any holes with extra dough from edges if needed. Trim edges with a knife or kitchen scissors leaving a 1/2 inch or so overhang. Tuck and fold excess dough edges under dough. Flute or crimp edges for a more decorative effect if you like.
- Chill unbaked pie shell uncovered in freezer for 25 minutes. Now your pie crust is ready for your recipe whether that’s baked with a filling or blind baked without a filling. Double recipe for top and bottom crust. Enjoy! (To blind bake shell see notes*)-For step by step photos see above post🔼
- To make dough by hand (without food processor): whisk together flour, salt, sugar, baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Drop cubed butter over the top and cut in with a pastry cutter or fork. Pour the ice water evenly over top. Stir with a fork until the dough comes together. Continue from step 4.
- If using spreadable vegan butter in the tub like earth balance, measure out butter, add to a bowl and refrigerate until needed. Pull off pieces of butter with fingers and drop on top of flour mix (work quickly you don’t want it to get to melty). Continue from step 2 of recipe 👍 This works great if you can’t find the sticks in your grocery store!
- To store and freeze: Wrap the dough disk in plastic wrap and then a freezer bag or freeze the unbaked pie shell for up to 3 months
- To blind bake pie shell: Preheat oven to 425° dock the bottoms and sides of chilled pie shell. Line with a piece of parchment paper or tin foil make sure it’s big enough to to go up the sides. Fill with pie weights or dried beans or dried rice. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove pie weights and liner. Reduce oven to 350° and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- For a treat use Miyoko vegan butter!! really good!
- For tips and frequently asked questions see above post🔼
Keywords: vegan pie crust, vegan pie shell, vegan butter pie crust, easy vegan pie crust, vegan short crust pastry,