Super Simple Vegan Pie Crust made in food processor in minutes! Buttery tender flaky shortcrust pastry perfect for sweet or savoury pies! Tried and true recipe! Easily doubled for double crust pie (top + bottom) Free from lard and no animal products!
Ok lets talk pie crust! Who’s looking for an easy homemade from scratch vegan pie crust recipe! Well you found it!…and I'll teach you how to make it!😊
This vegan pie crust is fool proof! It’s buttery flaky with just five ingredients made in the food processor (or by hand)! Vegan butter, flour, salt, sugar and my secret ingredient baking powder! And you don’t need to chill dough before rolling! It's the best!
I’ve been using this classic pie crust recipe for years and to make it vegan I just swapped out dairy butter for healthier plant based butter and that’s it!
Works for any pie whether your making a pumpkin pie, blueberry, apple pie or savoury one like vegan pot pie or breakfast quiche! I’ve got you covered! So don’t bother with a store bought refrigerated or frozen pie crust make your own! Easy Peasy!
Oh and it’s awesome for no bake pies too just blind bake the crust add your filling and chill!
- and have you seen how many ingredients are in the Pillsbury pie crust- Yikes! Too many, thank you very much. Mine is healthy in comparison!
I don’t use vegetable shortnening or coconut oil and definitely not lard-eeew! this is an all butter vegan pie crust made without animal products!
How to make a vegan pie crust in the food processor:
For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card at bottom of this post
- First cube the butter into approximately 1 inch cubes or so, and set in fridge until needed (if using spreadable vegan butter in the tub see notes in recipe card*)
- Add flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder to the food processor pulse a few times to mix. Evenly drop butter over the flour. Pulse until the butter is the size of peas or a little bigger. I pulse 14 times😊
- Remove lid and pour water evenly over the top. Pulse until dough starts to come together. I pulse around 14-16 times. Should hold together when squeezed with your fingers. If not add another tablespoon or two of water.
- Dump dough on counter and form into a disk, don't overwork dough. Place dough on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, lightly flour the top of dough and roll out to 12-13 inches in diameter (a couple inches bigger than your pie plate) add more flour if necessary if dough is sticking to rolling pin.
- Gently flip dough onto pie plate and remove parchment. Mold into the pie plate fixing any holes with extra dough from edges if needed. Trim edges with a knife or kitchen scissors leaving a 1/2 inch or so overhang. Tuck and fold excess dough edges under dough ( that's what I do). Flute or crimp edges for a more decorative effect if you like.
- Chill unbaked pie shell uncovered in freezer for 25 minutes. Now your pie crust is ready for your recipe whether that’s baked with a filling or blind baked without a filling. Double recipe for top and bottom crust. Enjoy!
Pro tips for perfect vegan pie crust:
- use parchment paper for easy rolling!
- don't overwork dough you want to keep those little pockets of fat for a tender and flaky crust
- use cold butter prevents it from melting before baking and makes for a flakier crust
- icy cold water helps keep dough/butter cold when mixing
- don't chill dough before rolling- much easier to roll then chill! (bakes better straight from freezer)
- chill pie shell in freezer before baking- it sets the dough so it is less likely to fall/droop during baking
Frequently asked questions for pie crust:
Can you freeze the dough?
- Yes wrap the dough disk in plastic wrap and then a freezer bag or freeze the unbaked pie shell for up to 3 months
Why is my pie dough falling apart?
- If dough seems crumbly it means you need to add more water!
Why is my pastry hard and tough?
- It means there is too much flour and not enough fat, which won't happen in my recipe as I add plenty of butter!
This vegan pie crust is:
tender, flaky and buttery
all purpose pie shell for sweet dessert pies or savoury pies!
great for baked or unbaked pies
lovely for holiday baking
easily doubled for double crust pie!
a much healthier option than store bought!
Enjoy you guys! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Check out some vegan baking (and no bake) recipes here:
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread – Better Than Starbucks!
- Best Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread Ever! (Easy Recipe)
- Best Vegan Banana Bread (Easy 1 Bowl Recipe!)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake (Vegan, 1 Bowl)
- 1 Bowl Vegan Lemon Loaf with Lemon Drizzle (Starbucks Copycat)
- Vegan Chocolate Pie with Salted Caramel (No Bake)
- Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake (Easy No Bake Recipe)