Vegan Sloppy Joes! The best easy meatless manwich recipe! Lentils, vegan crumbles simmered in a savoury sweet tangy tomato sauce, piled on a bun and devoured! A classic sandwich. Ready in 20 minutes.
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef Soup Base
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, I use earth balance
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped small
- 2 and 1/2 cups vegan meat crumbles, I like Gardein Beefless Ground
- 1 cup cooked lentils, rinsed and drained (I use canned)
- hamburger buns or buns of choice
- thinly sliced red onions (optional)
- vegan cheese slices (optional)
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Add the vegan butter, onions, peppers and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes or so until the veggies are softening and browning up a bit.
- Add in the vegan crumbles and cook for a couple of minutes until defrosted and heated through.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low, stir in the lentils and sauce. Simmer for a couple of minutes until you are happy with the consistency.
- Pile the meat filling in a warm buttered hamburger bun and enjoy! Add thin sliced red onions and or vegan cheese if you like. For serving ideas see notes section*
- For sloppy Joe filling with beyond beef plant based ground: Add 1 package to skillet when onions and peppers are done, break apart with fork until completely cooked. Continue from step 4
- I have not made this recipe using TVP, tofu or jackfruit
- I like the combo of vinegar and mustard as apposed to Worcestershire sauce. I do not use apple cider vinegar. Red wine vinegar suits this recipe the best in my opinion.
- you could sub vegetable broth for water and bouillon but I highly recommend trying recipe as written😊
- For a slight smoky flavour add 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke to sloppy joe sauce
- The mix is gluten free. For a completey gluten free meal use gluten free buns.
- the filling is so good with my vegan mac and cheese!
- the sloppy Joe mix will keep covered in the fridge for 4-5 days and freezes well
What are some good sides to eat with sloppy joes? Here are some links for you:
- Category: Mains, 30 Minute Vegan Recipes, Gluten free,
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan sloppy joes, vegetarian sloppy joes, lentil sloppy joes, easy vegetarian sandwich recipe,