Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms: mushroom caps filled with dairy free cream cheese, Panko parmesan topping, walnuts, fresh herbs and baked! Delicious easy recipe no one will believe is vegan! Great veggie appetizer for the holidays, or anytime!
- 18 medium/large Cremini mushrooms, stems removed and discarded (see notes*)
- oil for brushing tops, I use grapeseed can use olive oil or your favourite
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs, use gluten free if needed
- 1/4 cup raw or toasted walnuts or pecans, chopped small by hand or pulsed in food processor (measure then chop)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (not ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese, I use Daiya for this recipe*
- Preheat oven to 400° line a baking sheet or oven proof dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Gently wipe mushrooms with a paper towel to clean. Brush tops lightly with oil and place mushroom caps stem side down and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven flip them over and blot out any juices with paper towel.
- While mushrooms are pre cooking prepare the filling: In a bowl mix together panko bread crumbs, walnuts, nutritional yeast, herbs, salt and pepper. Stir in the cream cheese. Mix well.
- Fill mushroom caps with 2 teaspoons of the filling (yes I measure😊). Return to the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with chopped chives if desired and Enjoy! Careful they’ll be hot! For step by step photos, tips and Q & A see above post.
- Make ahead: make the filling the night before or up to 2 days in advance. Follow instructions for recipe, stuff and bake!
- To store and freeze: leftover mushrooms will keep covered in fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in oven. These are best served freshly made. I do recommend freezing
- To use mushroom stems in recipe: Chop the stems small, by hand or in food processor. Add stems and 1/2 tablespoon vegan butter to a skillet. Sauté over medium high heat for 3-5 minute or so until they are cooked and no juices remain. Set aside to cool down. Add to cream cheese mix. This will add bulk to mix and you may be able to stuff a couple more mushrooms👍
- Mushrooms: I recommend Cremini I find them more flavourful but you can use white button mushrooms just make sure they are large.
- Vegan cheese: I use Daiya for this recipe and have not tried any other brands like kite hill, tofutti, etc…
Keywords: vegan stuffed mushrooms, vegan appetizers, cream cheese stuffed mushrooms, vegan party recipe, finger food