The Best Vegetable Chickpea Curry Recipe! with coconut milk, Indian spices and tasty veggies. Cooks in 20 minutes! It's a simple, creamy, healthy Vegan Curry, protein rich too!
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped small
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons grated ginger, fresh or frozen
- 1 large carrot, grated or diced, (approximately 1 cup)
- 1/2 lb (227 grams) mushrooms, rough chopped or quartered
- 1 large red pepper, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base
- 1 can (540 ml) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- 1 can (398 ml) Rotel Tomatoes with green chilis, I use the 'mild' variety
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste if needed
- Optional toppings
- lime wedges
- chopped fresh tomatoes
- chopped cilantro
- chili garlic sauce
- Heat your Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot to medium heat, add the oil (or broth or water), onions and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until the onions start to soften, about 5 minutes then add the ginger and garlic and stir.
- Now add in the carrots, mushrooms, chopped peppers and spices, cook for another minute while stirring.
- Lastly add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and let sit for a few minutes to cool and thicken. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- I like to serve this curry with basmati rice, my easy naan bread and vegan raita, fresh chopped tomatoes, cilantro, lime wedges and chili garlic sauce of course!
- I keep my ginger in the freezer and grate it from frozen
- Don't worry if the curry seems watery it will thicken as it sits
- I use 'Mild' Rotel tomatoes with green chilis. I find the 'original' to be to spicy for everyone
- If you want to spice it up add a little chili garlic sauce to yours
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Mains, Gluten free,
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: vegetable chickpea curry, vegan curry, indian, easy, best, coconut milk, spinach, tomatoes, cilantro, vegan, curry,