Easy Vegan Gravy! BEST vegetarian alternative to chicken or turkey gravy! READY IN 10 MINUTES to pour over mashed potatoes and everything else! Gluten free option!
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, I use earth balance
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour plus 1 tablespoon*
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon Better than bouillon vegetarian no chicken soup base
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons Tamari, could use soy sauce, Braggs liquid aminos or lite versions for reduced sodium
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Add the broth ingredients to a glass measuring cup (with a spout helps) whisk together and set aside.
- Melt butter in a sauce pot/pan over medium heat.
- Once melted and hot stir or whisk in the flour until it's all incorporated and forms a paste (that's the roux)
- Slowly whisk in the vegetable broth mix
- Bring to a simmer on medium heat and cook until thickened while stirring, 4 minutes or so. Turn down heat slightly if necessary. If gravy is too thick add a little water too thin. For a thicker gravy add a tablespoon of flour and a little water to a small bowl to make a paste, whisk into gravy. (Important note-gravy will thicken slightly as it cools)
- Enjoy! Delicious served for Vegan Thanksgiving with mashed potatoes, vegan turkey, stuffing, vegetables, etc.. or- French fries or poutine- so many options! For step by step photos see above post
- gravy will keep covered in fridge for 4-5 days and can be frozen for 3-4 months
- For gluten free: use gluten free flour or white or brown rice flour
- Category: Sauces & Dressings, 30 Minute Vegan Recipes, Vegan Holiday Recipes
- Method: Stovetop / mixing bowl
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan gravy, easy vegan gravy, best vegan gravy, simple, easy, rich, thick,