My Perfect Vegan Stuffing Recipe is the best part of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, full of mushrooms, veggies, vegan sausage, apples, wild rice, fresh herbs and hearty sprouted grain bread. It’s jam packed with flavour.
No holiday meal would be complete without vegetable stuffing, and this stuffing is the bomb Diggity (haha my kids are cringing right now) Approved by Vegetarians and Omnivores. It’s a winner, and my favorite😊
What makes this vegan stuffing recipe perfect?
You need flavour and texture, folks! So.. the more veggies, sausage and rice the better, lol! And then sop it all up with tasty veggie stock and crispy bread and bake it, mmmm so goood! add vegan gravy, check👍
I used to add pork or Italian sausage to my stuffing, so I love the addition of vegan sausages, the flavour and meaty texture is delicious, but the real flavour bomb is the diced apple, such a fresh bite, pair that with fresh herbs, spices, mushrooms, veggies, rice and hearty bread, Wammo! Best Vegetable stuffing ever!
Best Bread for Holiday stuffing?
A dense hearty bread works best because it hold it shape and doesn’t turn into mush when baked. I usually use one type or a mixture of hearty and whole wheat. Squirrelly Bread is one of my favourites.
How to make Vegan stuffing:
Start by cubing and toasting the bread in the oven, set aside while you sauté the onion and garlic, add in the sausage, to crisp a bit. Then in goes the veggies, herbs and spices to cook for awhile. Turn off the heat and add the apples and cooked rice, and veggie stock. Give it a mix. Stir in the crispy bread add it all to your casserole dish and bake! Easy and delicious!
This Vegan Stuffing is:
Perfect for the holidays
Full of veggies
Easily oil free
Easily gluten free
Enjoy you Guys😊 Happy day. Feel free to leave comment and leave a star rating below. I would love to hear from you.
Other Savory holiday dishes you would like:
FOR MORE TASTY PLANT BASED AND VEGAN RECIPES FOLLOW ME ON PINTERESTPrint
My Perfect Vegan Stuffing recipe is the best part of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, full of mushrooms, veggies, vegan sausage, apples, wild rice, fresh herbs and hearty sprouted grain bread. It’s jam packed with flavour.
- 7 cups cubed bread,( bite size pieces) approximately 7 slices depending on bread used, See notes*
- 1 tbsp oil or so, (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves or more, chopped
- 1-2 Vegan sausages,( optional) sliced lengthwise into quarters and chopped, I use Field Roast Italian Sausages
- 2 celery stocks , diced
- 1/2-3/4 cup chopped bell pepper, I use a couple different colours😊
- 1/2 lb (227 grams) ( 8 oz) chopped mushrooms
- 1 apple cored and chopped
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked
- 1.5 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp or so fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1tsp Better than Bouillon No chicken soup base + 1 cup water /or 1 cup vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 350° /Lightly grease a 9×13 casserole dish.( I use my lasagna pan)
- Spread cubed bread evenly on baking sheet , bake for 10-12 minutes, stirring halfway. Remove from oven and set aside
- Add onions, oil(or broth/water) , pinch of salt and pepper to a large non stick skillet set to medium heat. Sautés for 5 minutes, till onions are softening and slightly brown, then add garlic and sausage(s), cook for another 3 minutes or so to crisp the sausage a bit.
- Add the celery, peppers, mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes or so till veggies are softening but the celery and peppers still have a slight bite to them. Add in the herbs, salt and spices, give it a stir.
- Turn off the heat. Now add the diced apple, cooked rice and veggie stock, give it a mix.
- Add the toasted cubed bread and mix till combined, Taste for seasonings, add more salt, pepper and or poultry seasoning if needed. If mix seems to dry add little more veggie stock. I find 1 cup of vegetable stock is perfect.
- Add the stuffing mix to the casserole dish. Lightly spray top of stuffing with oil for a crispier top ( optional) and Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and broil for 3-5 minutes. Watch carefully make sure not to burn😊
- Remove from oven, Serve and Enjoy!
- I usually use a hearty sprouted whole grain bread for my stuffing recipe or a mix of hearty and whole wheat. I find softer bread tends to get mushy. If you use Ezekiel bread you’ll need more than 7 slices as the bread is sliced very thin. I usually use Squirrelly Bread for this stuffing.
- To make this gluten free, use gluten free bread and use gluten free vegan sausages or omit them.
- Other Holiday savory recipes you would like:
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Salsbury Steak Meatloaf with mushroom gravy
- Curried Quinoa Salad ( yes I serve this with my holiday dinner😊)
Keywords: vegetable stuffing, vegan stuffing, recipe, easy, perfect, holiday, stuffing recipe, vegan recipes, Christmas, thanksgiving,