Delicious homemade no-knead focaccia bread recipe with rosemary! It’s a quick & easy italian flatbread with a perfect texture and crispy crust. Serve with soup, make a sandwich or dip in olive oil and balsamic. Bon appetit!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt, could used flaked
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (not ground)
- 1 and 1/3 cup warm water*
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast, could use I packet if that's what you have (1 packet equals 2 and 1/4 teaspoons)*
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided (some for baking sheet and to top dough)
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- pinch sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon or so
- pinch of granulated garlic
- Preheat oven to 400° Mix together the flour salt, thyme and granulated garlic in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and set aside
- Proof yeast: In a medium bowl add warm water. Sprinkle the sugar and yeast on top. Give one quick stir. Set aside to proof for 5-10 minutes. Yeast should bubble up to surface. Mine usually takes 5 minutes. Then stir in the olive oil.
- Make dough: Pour yeast into flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until completely combined. Drizzle some oil on your hand(s) and form dough into a ball.
- Cover bowl securely with plastic wrap and let rise for 45-60 minutes or until roughly doubled in size. (First rise) I place it beside my stove which I preheat early and I keep my house warmer on baking day.
- Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil onto 9x13 or 10x15 baking sheet spread with your hands (you'll need them oiled anyway) Pour dough onto pan. Spread with fingers into an oval shape. You'll want it about 3/4 to 1 inch thick. If using a 9x13 inch pan you could cover whole pan right to edges if you like it's up to you. I prefer oval/round shape. Or use larger sheet and spread thinner for more of a pizza style dough.
- With fingers make dimples all over the dough pressing right to the bottom. Pour over the 3 tablespoons olive oil (add more if needed) and spread with fingers. Sprinkle top evenly with rosemary, garlic, and sea salt. Let rise for 20 minutes. (Second rise)
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400° should be light golden brown top and bottom crust. Remove from oven to cooling rack.
- Enjoy! Slice and serve as an appetizer or with soups, chilies, stews or use as Italian sandwich bread. Delicious dipped in olive oil and balsamic too! Yum! For step by step photos, bread variations and tips see above post
- Yeast: Make sure yeast is fresh and not expired store in the fridge for best results
- Water: Make sure water for yeast is right temperature. Should be little hotter than Luke warm but not hot. If too cool yeast might not proof.
- Store and freeze: will keep covered on counter for couple of days- best the first day! It is freezer friendly if wrapped well, I never do we just eat it fresh👍
- prep time doesn't include rise time
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Snacks & Sides
- Method: Bake/Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 128002
Keywords: focaccia, focaccia bread, no knead focaccia bread,