Delicious homemade no-knead vegan focaccia bread recipe with rosemary! A flatbread that requires no kneading! It’s quick and easy with a perfect texture and crispy crust. Serve with soup, make an Italian sandwich or dip in olive oil and balsamic! Bon appetit!
What is focaccia?
Focaccia is a soft and fluffy oven baked Italian flatbread made with yeast and olive oil, usually flavoured with garlic and herbs like rosemary. Originating from Italy some call it “pizza blanca” Similar to pizza dough but taller, spongier and lighter.
You will love my vegan focaccia bread it’s a no fuss no knead version. The texture and taste is just right! light, fluffy with an amazing crust! And there’s barely any work involved. Just proof yeast, mix dough. Cover let rise, form your loaf, add toppings, let it rest and bake! And enjoy your work of art!
Crazy simple focaccia bread recipe! and it tastes like a high end bakery artisan bread! and best of all it’s made at home and there's no stand mixer needed! Yes let’s pat ourselves on the back- woot woot!
It goes wonderfully along side soups like my Lentil soup, Split Pea soup or dunked in my Vegan Chili or Hearty Vegetable Stew and this bread makes the most incredible sandwich! stuff it with roasted veggies, vegan deli meat and get ready to dig in!
Focaccia bread ingredients:
To make this no knead rosemary focaccia bread recipe (pronounced “foh-KAH-chya”), you will need:
- Warm water: needed to activate the yeast
- Sugar: helps to activate the yeast and gives bread a little sweetness and helps achieve that brown crispy crust!
- Active dry yeast: I use 2 and ½ teaspoons but if you just have the packets, use one for this recipe
- Flour: Basic all-purpose flour, could sub half with bread flour for slightly chewier texture.
- Olive oil: for the dough and drizzling on top
- Herbs and spices: dried thyme and granulated garlic
- Coarse sea salt: to flavour dough and sprinkle on top
- Fresh chopped rosemary: To sprinkle on top of the dough for amazing flavour
How to make vegan focaccia
Making no knead focaccia bread is a breeze! Here's how it's done:
- Preheat oven to 400° Mix together the flour, salt, thyme and granulated garlic in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and set aside
- Proof yeast: In a medium bowl add warm water. Sprinkle the sugar and yeast on top. Give one quick stir. Set aside to proof for 5-10 minutes. Yeast should bubble up to surface. Mine usually takes 5 minutes. Then stir in the olive oil.
- Pour yeast into flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until completely combined. Oil your hand(s) and press flat, fold over the dough 4 times. Form into a ball.
- Cover bowl securely with plastic wrap and let rise for 45-60 minutes or until roughly doubled in size. (First rise) I place it beside my stove which I preheat early and I keep my house warmer on baking day.
- Spread 2 tablespoons olive oil onto 9x13 or 10x15 baking sheet with your hands (you’ll need them oiled) Pour dough onto pan. Spread with fingers into an oval shape. You’ll want it about 1 inch thick. If using a 9x13 inch pan you could cover whole pan right to edges if you like it’s up to you. I prefer oval/round shape.
- With fingers make dimples all over the dough press right to bottom. Pour over the 3 tablespoons olive oil (add more if needed) and spread with fingers. Sprinkle top evenly with rosemary, garlic, and sea salt. Let rise for 20 minutes. (Second rise)
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400° should be light golden brown top and bottom crust. Remove from oven to cooling rack.
- Enjoy! Slice and serve with soups, chilies, stews or use as Italian sandwich bread. Delicious dipped in olive oil and balsamic too! Yum! For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below
Focaccia bread toppings and fillings
I most often top focaccia with fresh rosemary, sea salt and little granulated garlic, keeping it simple but there are so many variations you can add and even enjoy as a flat bread pizza if you want! Here are some ideas to customize this recipe for you! Add one, a combo or all of them!
- chopped sun-dried tomatoes ( I recommend oil packed)
- sliced olives
- Artichokes ( make sure to squish out the extra moisture)
- Dollops of pesto and or pizza sauce
- Fresh chopped garlic
- fresh or dried herbs like oregano, thyme, basil
- cheese, I use dairy free😊
- fillings like vegan deli meat or pepperoni and veggies
Frequently asked questions
For the most part focaccia bread is vegan, some might have the occasional egg added to the dough and grocery stores quite often top them with dairy cheese and even meat before baking.
Folding the dough over on itself strengthens the gluten and traps air bubbles. It’s the secret to a soft, chewy, and airy crust (like my pizza dough) but it is optional.
Generally all purpose flour is all you need for a great loaf of focaccia but for a little added chewiness sub a bit of bread flour!
Keep it covered on the counter for a couple of days. I love it eaten fresh!
Yes! Just wrap it well before freezing.
Tips for perfect focaccia:
- Make sure yeast is fresh and not expired store in the fridge for best results
- Make sure water for yeast is right temperature. Should be little hotter than Luke warm but not hot. If too cool yeast might not proof.
- Let dough rise in a warm environment or it might not rise properly or take a long time to do so! I place my dough beside my oven which I preheat early and keep my house a little warmer on bread making day😊
- Make sure to dimple that dough, makes little pockets for the olive oil to nestle, mmm
- Use s good quality olive oil and don’t skimp that is what makes the crust crispy and slightly chewy, both top and bottom.
- Don't use parchment paper you want the dough right on a baking sheet with oil that’s what forms the amazing crust I keep talking about! I keep a well used baking sheet just for this bread recipe.
Enjoy you guys! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Want more vegan bread recipes?
Here are some of my favourites on the blog:
- Best & Easiest Vegan Cornbread Recipe!
- Easy No Knead Bread
- Vegan Naan
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread – Better Than Starbucks!
- Simple Vegan Banana Bread (1 Bowl)
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print