This is The Best and Easiest Vegan French Toast you’ll ever make! So fluffy, soft, and sweet, this vegan breakfast classic is made with tofu and ready in 20 minutes.
For french toast:
- 1/2 block tofu, extra firm
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vegan plant milk (oat milk, almond, etc..)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt (for eggy flavour optional but recommended)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon tapioca starch (flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or oil, add more as needed
- 4-6 slices hearty bread of your choice, see notes*
- Add the tofu and the rest of ingredients (except the bread and oil) to your blender or Nutra Bullet and process until smooth. Pour the batter into a wide shallow bowl ( I use a pie plate) and set aside
- Preheat non stick griddle or large non stick skillet to medium high heat. Add oil or vegan butter
- Dip both sides of bread generously in the batter, to get a really good coating.
- Add battered bread to the skillet and fry for 4-5 minutes per side. Try not to move it while cooking so it develops a nice crust. If pan gets to hot turn down it down to medium heat. Once golden remove from pan and serve immediately. Repeat with rest of bread, add more butter as needed for frying.
- Enjoy with maple syrup, sliced bananas, fresh fruit, or Macerated Strawberries or all four, lol! For step by step photos, FAQ, tips, and suggestions see above post
- To store and freeze: store the leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just reheat them in a skillet over medium heat so they can get a bit crispy again.
- I use 1 or two day old French bread (cut into 1 & 1/4 inch or so slices) or hearty grain bread for this recipe. I do not recommend soft sandwich bread for this recipe, it isn't sturdy enough
- Make ahead: To save time, you can make the batter 1 or 2 days ahead! Just keep it in a sealed container in the fridge until it’s time to eat.
- This recipe can easily be doubled
Originally published April 2019, has been updated with more pictures and information. Recipe itself is unchanged
Recipe adapted from Peta
- Category: Breakfast & Baking, Gluten free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French, American , Canadian
Keywords: vegan French toast