This is The Best and Easiest Vegan French Toast you’ll ever make! So fluffy, soft, and sweet, this vegan breakfast classic is made with tofu and ready in 20 minutes.
Fluffy, syrupy, and sweet bites of The Best and Easiest Vegan French Toast will start any morning off on the right foot! Easy to make using just a blender and a skillet, this sweet breakfast comes together in no time and is one of the best weekend treats to serve to family or when you’re hosting Sunday brunch.
This vegan french toast recipe checks all the boxes for an easy, foolproof breakfast. It’s:
- Sweet, fluffy, and filling
- Easy to make gluten free
- Really quick and easy!
Made with tofu, flour, dairy free milk, and warming cinnamon, the easy batter sticks to bread like no other. The finished fried french toast is a sweet and savory treat that pairs perfectly next to a Mango Smoothie, Home Fries, Strawberry Muffins, and fresh fruit.
Is french toast vegan?
You can almost always find eggs in traditional french toast recipes, meaning it isn’t vegan-friendly. To make a vegan french toast recipe, all you have to do is swap the eggs for ingredients that help bind the batter together so it sticks and soaks into the bread as it fries. I used tofu, tapioca starch, and a few flavor enhancers to get the job done!
Easy vegan french toast ingredients:
- Extra firm tofu - Blending tofu in with the french toast batter will thicken it and ensures it sticks to the bread.
- Bread slices - The heartier, the better! The best vegan bread for french toast is one or two day old french bread, ciabatta, or grain bread.
- Dairy free milk - Any kind will work.
- Tapioca starch - To help the batter stick to the bread. Cornstarch is a great substitute.
- Nutritional yeast - This will add some savory flavors into the batter.
- Cinnamon - For a touch of warmth. Feel free to add more warm seasonings, like nutmeg or ginger.
- Maple syrup - A little goes into the batter for natural sweetness, plus more on top of the finished french toast!
How to make french toast without eggs:
Making an eggless french toast recipe is really easy! All you need is a blender, a non-stick pan, and a handful of ingredients. It all comes together in a few steps:
- Blend the tofu and the rest of the batter ingredients in a blender until it’s smooth. Pour it into a wide, shallow bowl.
- Melt some vegan butter or oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Generously dip both sides of the sliced bread in the batter.
- Add 1 or 2 battered slices in the skillet to fry. Flip when golden brown, and fry the other side.
- Plate the finished french toast with as many toppings as you like and enjoy! For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below
Of course! All you have to do is use your favorite gluten free bread. Try to use thick and hearty slices if you can.
Tips for success
- Stale bread is always the right choice because it soaks up the batter really well. Leave the bread slices out on the kitchen counter for 1 or 2 days if you don’t have state bread on hand.
- Try not to move the slices around in the skillet as they fry. This will help each side develop a nice crust.
- Craving vegan french toast sticks? Simply slice the finished french toast into sticks and dip in maple syrup or chocolate sauce!
- If you’re making a big batch, keep the finished french toast warm on a baking sheet in a 200ºF oven.
- Serve the slices immediately for the best results. They can become pretty soggy if stored for later.
Load the french toast with all kinds of sweet toppings, like:
- Maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Macerated strawberries
- Fresh fruit
- Vegan whipped cream
- Chocolate sauce
Storing and reheating vegan french toast
While vegan french toast is best eaten fresh, you can store the leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just reheat them in a skillet over medium heat so they can get a bit crispy again.
To save time, you can make the batter 1 or 2 days ahead! Just keep it in a sealed container in the fridge until it’s time to eat.
Hungry for more sweet vegan breakfast recipes?
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print