This Vegan fried rice is better than take out made with Just Egg, veggies, 5 ingredient sauce and leftover rice. Perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner or side for all your asian recipes! Gluten free, no eggs, Delicious!
For fried rice:
- 2 Just Egg folded (see notes for options*)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, divided can sub oil, grapeseed, peanut oil, etc..
- 1 medium carrot, grated about 3/4 to 1 cup
- 1 rib of celery, diced
- 1/2 cup green onions, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 4 cups cold cooked white rice, preferably day old, I use basmati (see notes*)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, use Tamari for gluten free
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon five spice powder
- First cook Just Egg folded according to instructions, I use microwave method. Slice into strips and chop. Set aside on a plate.
- Prep vegetables, mix sauce ingredients in a bowl. De clump cold rice with hands. Set everything aside.
- Heat large non stick skillet or wok on medium-high heat add tablespoon of butter, and veggies (not peas) fry for 3 minutes or so with spatula. They should still have a bite to them. Remove to plate with egg
- Turn down heat to medium. Add remaining butter to pan with rice and peas. Stir fry for a couple of minutes until heated through, add cooked veggies, egg and sauce to pan and cook until heated through, a minute or so. Remove from heat. Adjust seasonings if needed. Serve and enjoy! Drizzle of plum sauce is always yummy and or a wee bit of chili garlic sauce stirred in - oh yah👍For FAQ, tips, serving suggestions and step by step photos see above post
- To store and freeze: rice will keep covered in fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in microwave or stovetop. Can be frozen but I don’t recommend it.
- Rice: Use a long grain white rice that has been rinsed well before cooking and is at least a day or two old for best texture. I recommend basmati or jasmine rice. When cooking basmati rice the less water you add the firmer the rice. I use 1 cup rice to 1 and 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup water. And love my rice cooker!! yes cooked brown rice works too but not my first choice
- Just egg: can use liquid form instead or tofu scramble just cook them separately and add to dish at the end
- Extra protein: serve with vegan steak, ham or marinated tofu
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Mains, Gluten free, 30 minute recipes, Snacks & sides
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
Keywords: vegan fried rice, vegan rice, fried rice recipe, vegan chinese recipe, vegetable fried rice