This Vegan fried rice is better than take out made with Just Egg, veggies, 5 ingredient sauce and leftover rice. Perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner or side for all your asian recipes! Gluten free, no eggs, Delicious!
Wait until you taste this homemade fried rice recipe. You won’t believe it’s eggless and plant based. Tastes like Chinese restaurant style traditional fried rice, so tasty! takes minutes to stir fry up using a non stick skillet or a wok -your choice!
Serve vegan egg fried rice as a main course with a vegetable such as broccoli, bok choy, corn, stir fried veggies, etc.. or a side with Crispy or marinated tofu, vegan orange chicken, chow mein, teriyaki noodles, or sweet & spicy garlic noodles. and plum sauce of course!
So next time you're making rice cook a little extra for this classic fried rice dish the next day! Super simple yet so flavourful you'll love it! Vegetarian and meat eater approved!
- rice: I use long grain white basmati rice it's my preference for taste and texture, jasmine is a good choice also. cooked brown rice -if you want healthier of course but not my first choice
- Just Egg folded: this works great as an egg replacer could also use the liquid form. Sub scrambled tofu if needed
- vegetables: like frozen peas, celery, green onions and carrot. I do not recommend using mixed frozen veggies eww not good
- fried rice sauce: soy sauce or Tamari, sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, pinch of 5 spice - yummy!
- vegan butter: love the buttery flavour could also use oil, peanut oil etc,...
How to make vegan fried rice:
- First cook Just Egg folded according to instructions, I use microwave method. Slice into strips and chop. Set aside on a plate.
- Prep vegetables, mix sauce ingredients in a bowl. De clump cold rice with hands. Set everything aside.
- Heat large non stick skillet or wok on medium-high heat add tablespoon of butter, and veggies (not peas) fry for 3 minutes or so with spatula. They should still have a bite to them. Remove to plate with egg
- Turn down heat to medium. Add remaining butter to pan with rice and peas. Stir fry for a couple of minutes until heated through, add cooked veggies, egg and sauce to pan and cook until heated through, a minute or so. Remove from heat. Adjust seasonings if needed. Serve and enjoy! For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below
- rice will keep covered in fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in microwave or stovetop. Can be frozen but I don’t recommend it.
How many servings?
- serves 4 people as a main dish and 6-8 people as a side
Is fried rice vegan?
- Typically no it is not vegan, it is usually made with eggs and sometimes meat is added. For vegan rice either cook it yourself or ask for no egg
Does rice have to be cold?
- Cold rice or day old rice is best, this prevents clumping and it will not be mushy. Can use warm freshly cooked rice but results won't be the same.
What is the secret to restaurant style fried rice?
- They use cold day old rice. Jasmine a long grain rice is quite often rice of choice ( I still prefer basmati😊) and they use slightly less water when cooking it like I recommend below and sauce with soy sauce and sugar is a must!
What can I substitute for Just Egg?
- You can use tofu scramble. Just cook separately and stir in at the end
- Use a long grain rice that has been rinsed well before cooking and is at least a day or two old for best texture I recommend basmati or jasmine rice
- When cooking basmati rice the less water you add the firmer the rice. I use 1 cup rice to 1 and 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup water. And love my rice cooker!!
- De clump rice with hands before adding to skillet
- Use non stick skillet or wok for best results, a well seasoned cast iron pan will work too
This fried rice is:
- vegan gluten free
- nut free
- wonderful any day of the week!
- a snack or a meal
- so delicious
- super quick and easy to make!
- kid approved
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
More quick easy weeknight meals:
- Thai Red Curry With Vegetables (Easy Vegan Recipe)
- 20 Minute Vegan Egg Roll In A Bowl (Crack Slaw)
- Vegan Haluski (Cabbage And Noodles)
- Best Peanut Noodles Ever!
- Tofu Stir Fry Recipe (Chinese)
- 20 Minute Vegan Lettuce Wraps - Healthy & Delicious!
- Vegetable Chickpea Indian Curry
- Sweet & Spicy Garlic Noodles
- Vegetable Chow Mein