This Meaty Vegetarian Salsbury Steak Meatloaf, or meatballs is the perfect addition to your holiday meal, whether it’s Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter or any day really, this delicious & easy vegan seitan steak recipe has it going on. I mean come on! Who doesn’t like Thanksgiving Vegan Meatloaf with gravy, YUM!
VEGAN SALSBURY STEAK INGREDIENTS:
- 1 lb white or brown mushrooms, quartered ( 454 grams)
- 1 and 1/2 cups cooked green lentils
- 1 and 1/2 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 1 tbsp oil ( opt), see instructions *
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp “Better than Beef Bouillon vegetarian no beef soup base“
- 2 tbsps Braggs or Lite Tamari
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire ( I like “The wizards” or ‘Annies’)
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp mustard
MUSHROOM GRAVY INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 lb sliced mushrooms ( approx 227 grams)
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 1 tbsp oil ( opt) ,see instructions*
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 tbsp “Better Than Beef Bouillon vegetarian no beef soup base”
- 2 tbsps Braggs, or Lite Tamari
- 2 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsps flour, regular or gluten free blend ( l like Robin Hood)
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
INSTRUCTIONS FOR VEGAN SALSBURY STEAK:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Add the onion and oil to large skillet, on medium heat, saute for 7 minutes or so till golden brown. Add the garlic, pinch of salt and pepper & cook for minute or two longer. add to small bowl, set aside.* IF AVOIDING OIL use a non stick pan and saute onions and garlic in a little water or veg stock till cooked.
- Next process mushrooms in food processor, in two batches, scraping down sides if necessary, till quite small, slightly mushy, but with some texture remaining. Add to large glass mixing bowl.
- Next add your lentils to food processor with onion garlic mixture, pulse a few times. You want the lentils to retain some texture.
- Add rest of ingredients to bowl except gluten flour and mix well. I usually taste the mix at this point, don’t worry if it seems a little salty, once the gluten is added it’s perfect.
- Now add your Vital Wheat Gluten and mix for 2 to 4 minutes, ( I usually do this by hand, like mixing dough) till you see strands forming in the gluten. The strands are what holds your veggie loaf together.The mixture will be moist not dry, but will not stick to your hands.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish (I use a glass casserole dish) or if *AVOIDING OIL use non stick pan and line with parchment paper
- Add the loaf mixture and spread evenly in the pan, lightly brush top with oil (opt)
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 35 minutes
- let cool in pan on cooling rack for 15 mintes
- For meatball version see,( Notes)
- Slice and enjoy with mushroom gravy!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MUSHROOM GRAVY:
- Add onions, sliced mushrooms and oil to same skillet , set to medium heat, saute for 5-7 minutes or so, till onions are browning and soft and mushrooms are cooked, then add garlic and pinch of salt & pepper . Cook for another minute, transfer half the mixture to small bowl, set aside. If *AVOIDING OIL saute in a non stick pan with a little water or veggie stock.
- Add the spices and flour stir for a minute, then add rest of ingredients to pan( except mushrooms/onions you set aside earlier). whisk till all flour is incorporated. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for couple minutes till gravy has thickened.
- Add gravy to blender and process till smooth. Return gravy to pan and add mushroom, garlic mixture, reheat if necessary.
- Taste for seasonings, add more salt & pepper if necessary
- Enjoy with your Vegan Salsbury Steak!!
This recipe is adapted from my: Best Vegan Burger Recipe
This recipe was inspired by: Connoisseurus Veg
This recipe could easily be made into meatballs: Roll Salsbury Steak Meatloaf Mixture into 1 and 1/2 inch ( or so) balls, add to lightly greased baking dish ( or non stick).Lightly brush with oil (opt) Bake uncovered for 20 -25 minutes at 350°, flipping halfway, let rest for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy with Mushroom gravy👍
The nutritional chart below was calculated without Vital wheat Gluten and liquid smoke.
Link for Vital wheat gluten Nutrients is here
Keywords: vegan meatloaf, lentil loaf, vegan salsbury steak, meatballs, vegetarian, holiday, vegan meatloaf with gravy, seitan, Christmas, easter, thanksgiving, easy, perfect, meaty,