This Meaty Vegetarian Salsbury Steak Meatloaf, or meatballs is the perfect addition to your holiday meal, whether it's Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter or any day really, this delicious vegan seitan steak recipe has it going on. I mean come on! Who doesn't love Thanksgiving Vegan Meatloaf with gravy- YUMThis loaf is made with mushrooms, lentils, vital wheat gluten, it's slightly crispy on the outside, moist, meaty, chewy on the inside, and it will not fall apart people! This vegan steak will fool the hardiest of meat eaters, and it makes the best meatballs too! The recipe is adapted from my "Best Vegan Burger Recipe" so if you've tried my burger recipe you'll know what I'm talking about.
To make the Vegan Meatloaf next level good, Enter - The Best mushroom gravy ever! Honestly I could drink this stuff, it's that delicious.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SALSBURY STEAK :
To start on the steak, cook the onions and oil in a skillet on medium heat, for 7 minutes or so until golden brown. Then add your garlic, pinch of salt and pepper and cook a minute or two longer. If avoiding oil saute your onions and garlic in water or broth until onions are tender. Add to a small bowl and set aside.
Next process the mushrooms in food processor, in two batches, scraping down the sides if necessary, till quite small, slightly mushy, but with some texture remaining. then add the mushrooms to a large glass bowl.
Then add your lentils to the food processor with the onion, garlic mixture, and pulse a few times. you want the lentils to retain some texture.
Now add the rest of the ingredients except gluten, and mix well. I usually taste the mix at this point, Don't worry if it seems to salty, once the wheat gluten is added it's perfect. Now add in your vital wheat gluten and mix for 2 to 4 minutes,( I usually do this by hand like your mixing dough) till you see strands forming in the gluten. the strands are what holds your meatloaf together. The mixture will be moist not dry, but will not stick to your hands. Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole pan, add the loaf mixture and spread it evenly in the pan. In the oven it goes.
FOR SALSBURY STEAK MEATBALL VERSION:
To make the loaf into meatballs, roll mixture into 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch balls and place on non stick baking pan. brush the balls lightly with oil (opt) and bake for 20-25 minutes flipping halfway.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN MUSHROOM GRAVY:
On to the Mushroom gravy folks, add the sliced mushrooms and oil to the same pan, set to medium, and cook for 5 minutes or so then add the garlic, pinch of salt and pepper and cook for another minute. Remove half the mushroom, garlic mixture from pan and add to a small bowl, set aside for later( this will be the yummy mushroom texture in your gravy)
Now add rest of gravy ingredients to pan ( except bowl of mushrooms), whisk till flour is incorporated, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer till gravy has thickened. Then process gravy in blender till smooth, return to pan and add the mushrooms and garlic you set aside earlier. Reheat if necessary. Add salt and pepper if needed, and try not to slurp it all up!?
That's the recipe folks. The food processor and oven do most of the work, nice and easy and incredibly tasty! The gravy can easily be made the day before to save time. Now picture this Delicious Vegan Salsbury Steak with all the holiday fixings - mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, baked yams, cranberry sauce, buns, salad, etc.. Oh lord I'm drooling, Ok get going, you need to buy some mushrooms ASAP.
I know you'll love this Vegan Salsbury Steak Meatloaf, it's:
Comfort on a plate
Packed with protein
Perfect any time
Enjoy you guys! Happy Day ?
Feel free to comment below, your feedback is greatly appreciated!
This Meaty Vegetarian Salsbury Steak Meatloaf, or meatballs is the perfect addition to your holiday meal, whether it's Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter or any day really, this delicious & easy vegan seitan steak recipe has it going on. I mean come on! Who doesn't like Thanksgiving Vegan Meatloaf with gravy, YUM!
VEGAN SALSBURY STEAK INGREDIENTS:
- 1 lb white or brown mushrooms, quartered ( 454 grams)
- 1 and 1/2 cups cooked green lentils
- 1 and 1/2 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 1 tbsp oil ( opt), see instructions *
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp "Better than Beef Bouillon vegetarian no beef soup base"
- 2 tbsps Braggs or Lite Tamari
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire ( I like "The wizards" or 'Annies')
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp mustard
MUSHROOM GRAVY INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 lb sliced mushrooms ( approx 227 grams)
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 1 tbsp oil ( opt) ,see instructions*
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 tbsp "Better Than Beef Bouillon vegetarian no beef soup base"
- 2 tbsps Braggs, or Lite Tamari
- 2 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsps flour, regular or gluten free blend ( l like Robin Hood)
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
INSTRUCTIONS FOR VEGAN SALSBURY STEAK:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Add the onion and oil to large skillet, on medium heat, saute for 7 minutes or so till golden brown. Add the garlic, pinch of salt and pepper & cook for minute or two longer. add to small bowl, set aside.* IF AVOIDING OIL use a non stick pan and saute onions and garlic in a little water or veg stock till cooked.
- Next process mushrooms in food processor, in two batches, scraping down sides if necessary, till quite small, slightly mushy, but with some texture remaining. Add to large glass mixing bowl.
- Next add your lentils to food processor with onion garlic mixture, pulse a few times. You want the lentils to retain some texture.
- Add rest of ingredients to bowl except gluten flour and mix well. I usually taste the mix at this point, don't worry if it seems a little salty, once the gluten is added it's perfect.
- Now add your Vital Wheat Gluten and mix for 2 to 4 minutes, ( I usually do this by hand, like mixing dough) till you see strands forming in the gluten. The strands are what holds your veggie loaf together.The mixture will be moist not dry, but will not stick to your hands.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish (I use a glass casserole dish) or if *AVOIDING OIL use non stick pan and line with parchment paper
- Add the loaf mixture and spread evenly in the pan, lightly brush top with oil (opt)
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 35 minutes
- let cool in pan on cooling rack for 15 mintes
- For meatball version see,( Notes)
- Slice and enjoy with mushroom gravy!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MUSHROOM GRAVY:
- Add onions, sliced mushrooms and oil to same skillet , set to medium heat, saute for 5-7 minutes or so, till onions are browning and soft and mushrooms are cooked, then add garlic and pinch of salt & pepper . Cook for another minute, transfer half the mixture to small bowl, set aside. If *AVOIDING OIL saute in a non stick pan with a little water or veggie stock.
- Add the spices and flour stir for a minute, then add rest of ingredients to pan( except mushrooms/onions you set aside earlier). whisk till all flour is incorporated. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for couple minutes till gravy has thickened.
- Add gravy to blender and process till smooth. Return gravy to pan and add mushroom, garlic mixture, reheat if necessary.
- Taste for seasonings, add more salt & pepper if necessary
- Enjoy with your Vegan Salsbury Steak!!
This recipe is adapted from my: Best Vegan Burger Recipe
This recipe was inspired by: Connoisseurus Veg
This recipe could easily be made into meatballs: Roll Salsbury Steak Meatloaf Mixture into 1 and 1/2 inch ( or so) balls, add to lightly greased baking dish ( or non stick).Lightly brush with oil (opt) Bake uncovered for 20 -25 minutes at 350°, flipping halfway, let rest for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy with Mushroom gravy?
The nutritional chart below was calculated without Vital wheat Gluten and liquid smoke.
Link for Vital wheat gluten Nutrients is here
- Category: mains, sauces/salsas/dressings
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan meatloaf, lentil loaf, vegan salsbury steak, meatballs, vegetarian, holiday, vegan meatloaf with gravy, seitan, Christmas, easter, thanksgiving, easy, perfect, meaty,