This Vegan Stuffing is the best Thanksgiving side dish and no one will believe it's vegan, made with whole food easy ingredients, hearty bread, mushrooms, vegetables, sausage, apples, seasoning and more. Tastes incredible!
- 7 cups cubed bread,( bite size pieces) approximately 7 slices depending on bread used, See notes*
- 1 tbsp oil or so, (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves or more, chopped
- 2 or more Vegan sausages,( optional) sliced lengthwise into quarters and chopped, (see notes for options)
- 2 celery stocks , diced
- 1/2-3/4 cup chopped bell pepper, I use a couple different colours?
- 1/2 lb (227 grams) ( 8 oz) chopped mushrooms
- 1 apple cored and chopped
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked
- 1.5 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp or so fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1tsp Better than Bouillon No chicken soup base + 1 cup water /or 1 cup vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 350° /Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish.( I use my lasagna pan)
- Spread cubed bread evenly on baking sheet , bake for 10-12 minutes, stirring halfway. Remove from oven and set aside
- Add onions, oil(or broth/water) , pinch of salt and pepper to a large non stick skillet set to medium heat. Sautés for 5 minutes, till onions are softening and slightly brown, then add garlic and vegan sausage(s), cook for another 3 minutes or so to crisp the sausage a bit. (see notes for sausage options)
- Add the celery, peppers, mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or so until vegetables are softening but the celery and peppers still have a slight bite to them. Add in the herbs, salt and spices, give it a stir.
- Turn off the heat. Now add the diced apple, cooked rice and veggie stock, give it a mix.
- Add the toasted cubed bread and mix until combined (if you find your skillet not big enough add everything to a large bowl to mix) Taste for seasonings, add more salt, pepper and or poultry seasoning if needed. If stuffing seems to dry add little more veggie stock. I find 1 cup of vegetable stock is perfect.
- Add the stuffing mix to the casserole dish. Lightly spray top of stuffing with oil for a crispier top ( optional) and Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and broil for 3-5 minutes. Watch carefully make sure not to burn.
- Remove from oven, Serve and Enjoy! Lovely along side, sweet potatoes, veggies, vegan turkey, scalloped potatoes and or mashed potatoes and my easy 10 minute vegan gravy, and of course cranberry sauce!
- vegan meat/ sausage options: I like beyond sausages (cook separately first then chop and add), field roast are great and I also like beyond plant based ground, I just fry the vegan hamburger up separately and add in. For these options use as much or little as you like!
- I usually use a hearty sprouted whole grain bread for my stuffing recipe or a mix of hearty and whole wheat. I find softer bread tends to get mushy. If you use Ezekiel bread you'll need more than 7 slices as the bread is sliced very thin. I usually use Squirrelly Bread for this stuffing.
- To make this gluten free, use gluten free bread and use gluten free vegan sausages or omit them.
Keywords: easy vegan stuffing, vegetable stuffing, vegan stuffing, recipe, easy, perfect, holiday, stuffing recipe, vegan recipes, Christmas, thanksgiving,