Make the holidays complete with this hearty and comforting Easy Vegan Wild Rice Stuffing. This classic Thanksgiving side dish is loaded with wild rice, vegan sausage, crusty bread, apples, and an array of veggies and spices. Easy to make gluten and oil free!
- 1 cup cooked wild rice blend*
- 7 cups cubed bread, I use a mix of sourdough bread and whole grain
- 1 - 2 tablespoons vegan butter or oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 -3 vegan Italian sausages, sliced lengthwise and chopped*
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced (any colour)
- 1/2 lb (227 grams) ( 8 oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 apple cored and chopped
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley, or tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon No chicken soup base + 1 cup water /or 1 cup vegetable stock
- First get rice cooking according to instructions ( I use rice cooker) or use leftover rice. Gather and prep all ingredients. Add spices and salt to small bowl, set aside. Preheat oven to 350° Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish.( I use my lasagna pan). Set aside
- Spread cubed bread evenly on large baking sheet , bake for 10-12 minutes, stirring halfway. Remove from oven and set aside
- Set a large deep sided non stick skillet over medium heat. Sautés onions with butter a pinch of salt and pepper until softening and slightly brown. Add garlic and vegan sausage. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until sausages are cooked through.
- Add the celery, peppers, mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes or so until vegetables are softening but the celery and peppers still have a bite to them. Add in the herbs, salt and spices, give it a stir.
- Turn off the heat. Now add the diced apple, 1 cup cooked rice and veggie stock, give it a mix.
- Add the toasted cubed bread and mix until combined. Taste for seasonings, add more salt, pepper and or poultry seasoning if needed. If stuffing seems to dry add little more veggie stock. (For stovetop stuffing see notes*)
- Add the stuffing mix to the casserole dish. Lightly spray top of stuffing with oil for a crispier top ( optional) and Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, Serve and Enjoy! Lovely along side, sweet potatoes, veggies, vegan turkey, scalloped potatoes and or mashed potatoes and my easy 10 minute vegan gravy, and of course cranberry sauce! For step by step photos, FAQ, Tips and more see above post
- This post was originally published December 2018 and has been updated with new photos and more.
- vegan sausage options for stuffing: I like beyond meat sausages , mild or spicy. or use your favourite. Vegan ground beef also works, Impossible meat, Gardein, lightlife etc,...
- Rice: For even more flavour cook rice in vegetable stock!
- For stovetop stuffing: add apples in step 4. Leave the heat on in step 5 and in step 6 make sure stuffing is heated through before serving.
- For oil free stuffing: sauce veggies in vegetable stock or water and use oil free sausages or omit them
- For gluten free: use gluten free bread
- Make ahead: make and cook stuffing up to a day ahead (either from pan or oven) and reheat according to baking instructions in step 7
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Category: Snacks & Sides, Gluten free,
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: wild rice stuffing, easy vegan stuffing, vegetarian stuffing