Vegan Zucchini Fries: raw zucchini sticks dipped in eggless batter, rolled in a flavourful bread coating and baked to crispy perfection. Deliciously simple vegan appetizer perfect any time, game day, potluck you name it! They will send your taste buds into overdrive!
- 2 small to medium firm zucchini (about 1 and 1/2 lbs)
- cooking oil spray for baking sheet and zucchini tops
- 1 cup unsweetened non dairy plant milk, any variety- almond milk, soy, etc...
- 1 cup all purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Seasoned bread crumbs:
- 1 and 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1/2 teaspoon regular salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 minute vegan ranch dressing for dipping (optional but highly recommended!😊)
- and or warm marinara sauce
To make zucchini fries:
- Preheat oven to 425° Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and generously spray with cooking oil spray, set aside.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and then into sticks, about 1 inch or so thick and approximately 4 inches long.
- Add the wet batter ingredients to a medium size mixing bowl and whisk until smooth
- Mix the dry breading ingredients in a shallow plate (I use my pie plate)
- Dip zucchini into the batter, making sure it is fully coated, the batter will be thick. Now dredge in the Panko bread mixture, gently pressing to coat. Repeat with remaining zucchini
- Place zucchini on prepared baking sheet. Spray tops and sides with cooking oil spray. Bake for 2o minutes, until golden brown and crispy, flipping halfway through cooking time. For step by step photos see above post.
- Enjoy! Serve with my 5 minute vegan ranch dressing and or a side of warm marinara sauce. Ketchup is a great dipper too! This recipe will serve 6 as an appetizer, approximately 4-5 fries per person.
- For gluten free zucchini fries: I have not tried this recipe using gluten free ingredients. My suggestion would be to use a gluten free flour blend or rice flour in place of all purpose flour and gluten free panko instead of regular. As I said I have not tested this though. If you try it let me know how it goes for you😊
- Can these be frozen? have not tried freezing we usually just eat em up when they're fresh out of the oven!
- Panko is a Japanese style bread crumb and can be found in most grocery stores along side regular breadcrumbs
Pro tips for perfect crispy oven baked zucchini fries:
- don't cut the zucchini sticks to small or they might become overcooked and soggy in the oven!
- don't over bake them or you'll run into the same problem - overcooked zucchini
- completely coat them in the batter -that will become the crispy coating when they're done baking
- Panko is a must for this recipe as it gives such a great crunchy crust to the fries
- use small to medium sized zucchini that are firm. Larger zucchini will have soft centres that will be mushy when cooked.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Category: Snacks & Sides, 30 Minute Vegan Recipes
- Method: Oven baked
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: zucchini fries, vegan zucchini fries, vegan appetizers, game day, super bowl, baked zucchini fries, zucchini fries vegan, crispy, fried zucchini without eggs and milk, breaded zucchini vegan