This is the Easiest and Best Vegan Split Pea Soup Recipe, it's rich, hearty and delicious! made with everyday ingredients. The flavour is outstanding! and it can easily be made in a slow cooker. Gluten free and easily oil free!
- 3 cups green split peas
- 9.5 cups water
- 1 tbsp oil, or so (opt), see instructions*
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (2 cups or so)
- 3 large carrots, diced ( 2 cups or so)
- 4 large celery stalks, diced (2 cups or so)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp "Better than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base"
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 and 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
STOVE TOP VERSION:
- Rinse the green split peas well and add them to your favorite soup pot (5 qt or bigger) with salt, bay leaves and water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While peas are simmering add onions, oil ( or broth/water), pinch of salt & pepper to a med/lg skillet . Saute on medium heat for 5-7 minutes or so till onions are soft and slightly caramely, then add rest of veggies and cook for 5 minutes or so till slightly softened.
- After 15 minutes add rest of ingredients to the pot, cover and continue to simmer for an additional 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally , until peas are (fall apart) soft.
- Remove from heat season with more salt and pepper if desired. If the soup seems to thick add more water/bouillon if you like, or broth.
- Frying your veggies first is optional but adds extra flavour
SLOW COOKER VERSION:
- Rinse the green split peas well and add them to your Slow Cooker along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hrs or on high for 5-6 hrs, until peas are (fall apart) tender.
- Add additional salt and pepper if you like and more water/bouillon or broth if the soup seems to thick.
- As I stated in the "Stove Top" version, frying your veggies first is optional but adds extra flavour.
- The soup will thicken considerably when cooled. When reheating don't add water until it is heated through, because it might not be necessary.
- Nutritional value is calculated with oil included
- If you love this soup check out my Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan split pea soup, slow cooker, oil free, simple, easy, vegetarian, recipe, hearty, healthy, rich,