The Best Vegan Burger Recipe you say!? OH Yah it's a winner. These Ultimate Beefy Vegan Burgers are the best ever and made with a lot of love, Yup- definitely a labour of love. I have been trying to make a juicy, won't fall apart, grillable delicious veggie burger recipe for ages now. I think I nailed it!
VEGAN HAMBURGER INGREDIENTS:
- 1 and 1/2 lbs white or brown mushrooms ( approx 700 grams)
- medium onion ( diced small)
- 1 tbsp oil ( for onions)
- 1/2 cup Bulgar Wheat
- 1 cup water ( for bulgur wheat)
- 1 and 1/2 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp Bbq sauce ( I like Bulls Eye Bold Original)
- 2 tsp boullion paste ( I like "Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef Soup Base")
- 1 tbsp refined coconut oil ( for burger mix)
- 2 tsp Vegan Worcestershire sauce ( I like 'Annies' or "The Wizards")
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
BURGER TOPPINGS ?
- 8 - 10 Burger buns
- Vegan Burger Sauce Recipe
- Red onions
- Hot banana peppers ( I love them ?)
- Vegan cheese ( opt) ( see notes*)
- And whatever else floats your boat?
- Heat up a small skillet, on med heat and add little oil, S&P and saute your onions for 5 minutes or so then set aside.
- Add the bulgar to a soup bowl and add 1 cup boiling water, cover, and set aside for 30 minutes
- Pre heat oven 350°
- In your Food Processor, process your mushrooms. (You might have to process your mushrooms in two or three batches depending on the size of your food processor) , making them quite small, but not mushy ( see video),and add to a large mixing bowl. Then add the sautéed onions, seasonings and liquids.
- Drain the bulgar well and add when ready( don't worry it will be very chewy, thats good) Mix it all together.
- Lastly add in the Vital Wheat Gluten, and stir until combined and then mix by hand for 2 - 4 min ( 2 is probably good?) It is ready when you see strands forming in the burger mix.
- Form 1/2 cup patties on a lightly oiled large (or parchment lined) non stick sheet tray. Spray tops of patties lightly with cooking spray, (optional).
- Bake the patties for 25 min, flipping them halfway through
- Remove the patties from the oven add cheese and broil couple of minutes, ( cheese is optional)
- Grab a Burger, and a bun and build your Burgers.
- Enjoy !!
REHEAT FROM FROZEN:
OVEN: preheat 350° cook burgers 5-7 minutes on each side.
STOVE TOP: heat a cast iron or non stick skillet on med heat, add a tbsp or so of oil, cook 3-5 minutes on each side.
GRILL: heat the grill to med/high heat, and lightly oil (pre cooked) burgers, grill 3-5 minutes each side.
- To freeze the vegan hamburger patties: first cook and cool on counter then in fridge, then wrap individually in plastic wrap and freeze
- I recommend cooking burgers first in oven then bbq if desired
- I like Follow Your Heart vegan cheeses, the Jalapeño Havarti is really good, cheddar is too, and I like the Daiya Jalapeño Havarti as well, and its cheaper.
- Nutritional Chart below is calculated without the Vital wheat Gluten
- If you love this seitan burger recipe check out my Vegan Salsbury Steak & Mushroom Gravy
Keywords: best vegan burger recipe, grillable vegan burger, burger, beefy, ultimate, grillable, best ever, easy, simple, won't fall apart, best, juicy, recipe, veggie patties, vegan burger recipe,