You’ll Love my Easy Vegan Quiche! Puff pastry pie crust loaded with spinach, mushrooms and a delicious tofu ‘eggy’ filling! Perfect for Sunday brunch or holiday breakfast. Gluten free and crustless option!
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, defrosted*
For the tofu filling:
- 1 400 gram package pre pressed tofu (just under a lb) *
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon miso, I use Shiro Miso
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon black salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened non dairy milk, I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
For the Vegetable mix:
- 1–2 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced (or any colour)
- 2–3 cloves garlic, chopped small (minced)
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms, cremini or white
- 2 cups fresh spinach, packed then rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup or so grape tomatoes, halved
- Preheat your oven to 400°
- For the tofu filling: Break apart the tofu and add to your food processor along with the nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt, black salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion, and miso. Process until completely broken down, it will look like tiny little crumbles
- Now add the plant milk, vinegar, Tamari and liquid smoke. Process until it is paste like. It will be really thick. You will have to stop and scrape down side a few times and push the mixture around with your spatula to help get it going. This will take a few minutes. If you find it is not coming together then add one more tablespoon of plant milk. (this has to be very thick for the best texture when cooked so if you can avoid adding additional liquid don’t). Set aside
- For the vegetable mix: Set a large non stick skillet to medium heat. once hot add the onions and peppers. Saute over medium heat for 3 minutes. add the mushrooms, garlic and rosemary. Cook for 3 minutes or so until mushrooms are completely cooked down and have released their juices. Stir in the spinach and cook for another minute or so until it is wilted. Set aside to cool for 1-2 minutes.
- To assemble the quiche: Add the tofu filling to the cooked vegetables in the skillet. Mix well. (if using vegan cheese stir it in now). Set aside.
- Place the puff pastry sheet over the pie plate and mold to fit. Trim the edges with a knife and flute them if you like.
- Pour the quiche filling into the crust, making sure it’s evenly distributed and pressed down. Add the tomatoes pushing them down slightly into the filling. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour. (Towards end of baking, if your crust is getting to brown for your liking, loosely tent the edges with tin foil). Cool for 20 minutes before serving so the filling sets. Enjoy hot or cold for breakfast or brunch! Delicious served with my breakfast potatoes, restaurant style salsa and a green salad! For step by step photos see above post 🔼
- For gluten free: use a gluten free pie crust or make it crustless, spray pie plate lightly with cooking spray, add filling and bake for 45 minutes at 375°
- Use any use any pre-made regular, or home made pie crust in place of puff pastry crust
- If you can only find pre pressed tofu sold in 1 lb blocks just add another 1-2 tablespoons of plant milk to food processor
- I ONLY use pre pressed tofu for this recipe, not firm or extra firm!😊 the results will not be the same!
- Quiche will keep covered in the fridge for 4-5 days and will keep frozen for up to 1 month
- To reheat from frozen: defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven or microwave
- If you can’t find black salt locally you can find it HERE this is where I buy mine
Substitutions/add ins for filling:
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets or asparagus instead of 2 cups mushrooms (mushrooms shrink in volume that’s why it’s 2 cups)
- stir in a couple tablespoons of vegan bacon bits
- add 1/2 cup of your favourite vegan cheese, grated, my vegan mozzarella is great!
- sub fresh or dried dill instead of rosemary or a mixture of your favourite herbs like basil,…etc
- omit fresh tomatoes and instead add couple tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes right to vegetable mix
Keywords: easy vegan quiche, vegan quiche, vegan quiche lorraine, vegan quiche recipe, vegan quiche recipe tofu, eggless quiche, tofu quiche, brunch, holiday, easter