This vegan lasagna is the best vegetable lasagna that you'll ever eat and it's vegan! With veggies, mushroom bolognese, noodles and easy creamy tofu ricotta cheese! Lasagna is protein packed and healthy too! Gluten free option.
- Pasta sauce: 1 Recipe Vegan bolognese Sauce *
- Tofu Ricotta: 1 recipe Tofu Ricotta
- 1 tbsp oil, olive oil or your favourite oil (optional)
- 2 cups or so chopped fresh spinach
- 2 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into strips
- 2 large tomatoes cut into semi thin slices
- 1 box regular lasagna noodles, I used 15 noodles*
- Vegan cheese - you could use Earth Island Mozzarella or Provolone, 6-8 slices. It's also called Follow Your Heart, or try my Vegan Mozzarella it's amazing.
- Salt & Pepper
- Make Vegan Bolognese Sauce HERE Set aside (I usually make my sauce a day or two ahead or have some handy in the freezer.
- Follow instructions for Tofu Ricotta Cheese HERE
- Grill zucchini: Slice zucchini lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips, add to bowl with the oil and toss to combine. Grill on Bbq or grill pan set to med-high heat. Couple of minutes or more on each side until tender, with a slight bite. Set aside (If avoiding oil cook in pan with broth or water).
- Cook noodles according to instructions. Drain and add back to pot with cold water until needed.
- To assemble the lasagna: Preheat oven to 350° Spread 1 and 1/2 cups of sauce evenly in lasagna pan
- Add layer of noodles, over lapping a bit.
- Now add 1 and 1/2 cups or so of sauce, top with sliced zucchini, then tomato slices.
- Then add another layer of overlapping noodles, going the opposite direction this time. you will have to cut noodles to fit.
- Now add the tofu cashew ricotta, and spread evenly over the noodles.
- Top with chopped spinach, and another 1 and 1/2 cups or so of sauce
- Add your final layer of overlapping noodles , going in opposite direction again.
- Now add your final 1 and 1/2 cups or so of sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover and add your cheese slices and a couple twists of the salt and pepper mill. Return to the oven uncovered for another 10 minutes so cheese melts.
- Let sit for at least 1o minutes to cool slightly. Slice and Enjoy with a green salad or Vegan Caesar Salad and No Knead artisan Bread or garlic bread! For detailed step by step photos see above post.
- For gluten free: use gluten free lasagna noodles
- Feel free to add extra cheese to one of the layers
- My bolognese sauce recipe makes a lot so you can be generous between layers, or freeze the extra sauce. I actually would've liked more sauce for my lasagna, and pictures but we had spaghetti a few days before so I had just enough sauce left over for lasagna!
- If using no boil noodles skip step 4
- Now if you want to speed up the lasagna process a bit you could definitely use an easy store bought chunky marina sauce, saute some onions, mushrooms and vegan meat crumbles (like Gardein or Beyond Meat) in olive oil and add it in to the red sauce.
- Vegan lasagna will last in the fridge for 4-5 days and freezes well. To reheat from frozen: defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or covered in a 350° oven for 30 minutes or so until heated through.
- Prep time doesn't include making the Vegan Bolognese
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Mains, Gluten free
- Method: Bake / Oven
- Cuisine: Italian, Vegan
Keywords: best vegan lasagna, vegan lasagna, vegetable lasagna,