Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread! A rich banana and chocolate loaf with double chocolate goodness from cocoa and chocolate chips. An easy quick bread with the best flavour! Perfect for breakfast or dessert!
- 3 large overripe bananas (1 and 1/2 cups mashed)
- 1/2 cup oil, I use grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened non dairy yogurt, I used a coconut yogurt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, I like Hersheys 100% Natural
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee, regular or decaf (optional but adds great richness)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips or chunks divided, or the equivalent of a dark chocolate bar chopped into pieces
Optional add ins:
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9×5 non stick loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Add the overripe bananas to a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork until smooth. Whisk in the rest of the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Mix together the dry ingredients and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Add to the wet ingredients and whisk together until combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and evenly sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove the pan from oven to a wire cooling rack for at least 10-15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the loaf pan. Gently remove from the pan. Let cool until slightly warm before slicing. Or cool completely. Slice with a serrated bread knife. Serve and Enjoy!
- For gluten free vegan chocolate banana bread: I have not personally tried subbing gluten free flour but my readers have had good results using a gluten free flour blend with my vegan banana bread recipe and I am sure it would be great in this recipe as well.
- For a healthier oil free version: you could replace the oil with unsweetened apple sauce.
- I have not tried whole wheat or spelt flour with this recipe nor have I tried this recipe with maple syrup in place of sugar.
- It will keep covered on the counter for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to a week and freezes well. Slice and wrap individually in plastic wrap to freeze.
Keywords: vegan chocolate banana bread, double chocolate vegan banana bread, chocolate banana bread vegan, vegan banana recipes, egg free banana recipes,