Crispy baked and packed full of veggies these Vegan Quesadillas are the best you’ll taste and simple too! with mushrooms, black beans, peppers and quesadilla sauce! Cheeseless and Devine! Your taste buds will be singing! Easily gluten free!
- 6 large flour or corn tortillas, regular or gluten free
- 1 can of refried black beans, I use Amy's (so good!) I almost use the whole can. Try my bean recipe if you have the time it's delicious!
- 1 large red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small to medium zucchini, cut lengthwise and sliced into 1/2 slices (approximately)
- 2 tablespoons oil (optional) I use grapeseed oil
- 1/2 lb (227 grams) sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- oil cooking spray for spraying quesadillas (optional)
Quesadilla sauce (chipotle mayo sauce):
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise)
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle sauce from a can of chipotles in adobe sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon pickled jalapeño juice
- Preheat the oven to 425° Line a large baking sheet (11x21) or two smaller ones with parchment paper
- Prep your veggies
- In a small bowl mix the seasonings: chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the mushrooms, peppers, and zucchini to the sheet pan. Drizzle with the oil (if using) and sprinkle the taco seasoning mix on top. Mix with your hands and spread evenly on pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- To assemble quesadillas: Evenly spread a layer of refried black beans on a tortilla. Using tongs add some of the roasted veggies to half of the tortilla. Sprinkle with some cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Fold the tortilla over to form a half circle. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Using the same large sheet pan remove the parchment and make sure it is wiped dry of moisture. Spray the baking sheet lightly with cooking spray, add the quesadillas and spray the tops lightly with cooking spray (optional)
- Bake for 16 minutes flipping the tortillas half way through baking. Remove from the oven. Cut each quesadilla into thirds. enjoy!! Makes 6 quesadillas. For step by step photos see above post.
- Serve with my quesadilla sauce, and Pico de Gallo or salsa. Vegan sour cream and guacamole are great additionstoo!
- If I choose to use store bought salsa my favourite brand is Old El Paso Restaurant Style (Mild)
- you definitely need a large baking sheet for the veggies so they are not crowded or two smaller ones. I use my 11x21 inch baking sheet.
- To reheat quesadillas: in the oven 400° for 3-5 minutes per side, same for frying pan on medium high heat. You can reheat in microwave but they won't be crispy.
Optional add ins or substitutions for quesadillas:
- Vegan Chicken: like Gardein Chickn’ strips, Beyond meat grilled chicken strips, Tofurky chick’n or your favourite homemade chicken seitan,
- smashed avocado,
- canned Corn (I’m not a fan of frozen),
- grated Vegan Cheese (my mozzarella is awesome!!) Or any store bought like Miyoko, Daiya, Violife, Follow Your Heart, etc,..
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 24 Minutes
- Category: Mains, Gluten Free,
- Method: Bake / Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican, Vegan
Keywords: vegan quesadilla, vegan quesadillas, vegetables, refried black beans, black beans, roasted vegetables, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, queso, sauce, salsa, pico de Gallo, easy, baked, crispy, grilled, cheeseless, dairy free,