Vegan Stuffed Peppers! My vegetarian take on mom’s classic meat stuffed peppers recipe. Bell peppers filled with vegan ground beef, rice, veggies then baked until tender in tomato sauce. Ultimate easy comfort food family meal. Perfect any night. Gluten free
- 6 bell peppers, any colour
- 1 (398 ml/14 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (398 ml/14 oz can diced tomatoes, could use roasted tomatoes
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon each granulated garlic and onion (powder)
- 1 and 1/2 packages (510 g total) impossible burger ground beef
- 1 cup rice, cooked and cooled, white or brown rice (could sub quinoa)
- 1 medium- large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage (thinly sliced and chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil, I use grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
Equipment needed: 9x13 casserole dish must be at least 3 inches or more deep. I use my lasagna pan.
- Preheat oven to 325°
- For tomato sauce: mix sauce ingredients in the baking dish. Set aside.
- For ‘meat’ filling: Fry onions and cabbage in a skillet over medium heat with the oil and a pinch of salt and pepper for 7 minutes or so until browning and softening. Stir in garlic and cook for a minute. Remove to a plate too cool.
- In a mixing bowl add vegan ground beef, cold cooked rice, onion and cabbage mixture, fennel, Italian seasoning and salt. Mix well. I usually mix by hand. Set aside
- For peppers: while veggies are cooking slice the tops off peppers about 1/4 inch. Remove seeds and white membranes ( reserve tops for another recipe )
- Assemble: Stuff the peppers with meat filling. Place in baking dish on top of sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover. Let sit for 10 minutes or so before serving. Enjoy! Lovely with a side of mashed potatoes, rice or pasta, green peas and a simple salad! For FAQ, Tips, serving suggestions and step by step photos see above post🔼
- Pack in the meat filling so there are no spaces in bottom of peppers
- To store and freeze: keep covered in fridge for 3-5 days or leftovers can be frozen up to 2 -3 months. Place them snuggly in a freezer safe dish. I usually use tupperware type container.
- Have not tested stuffed peppers with beyond meat, gardien or litelife
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 90 Minutes
- Category: Mains, Gluten free, Vegan Holiday Recipes
- Method: Bake / Oven
- Cuisine: Italian, American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan stuffed peppers, stuffed vegan peppers,