This is the Best Vegan Turkey Recipe! Moist, flavourful with the perfect chew. Serve for your holiday main course with gravy or sliced as deli meat for your favourite veggie sandwich.
- 1 (541 mls) (18 fl oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, toasted or regular
- 2 tablespoons Braggs Liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Chicken Soup Base
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
- 3 cups vegetable stock ( for steaming roast)
Optional add ins:
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Start by adding all the ingredients (except vital wheat gluten) to your food processor: chickpeas, water, bouillon, Braggs, seasonings, sesame oil and nutritional yeast. Process until smooth.
- Pour the puree into a large mixing bowl, scraping out as much as possible with a spatula. Add in the vital wheat gluten. Mix by hand until combined (it won’t stick to your hands) Then kneed the dough 10-15 times. Shape into a log.
- Using a medium pot with a steamer insert. Place the turkey roll into the steamer part and fill the base of the pot with the veggie stock.
- Cover with the lid and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce to a good simmer and cook for 1 hour. Baste the roast after 30 minutes with a 1/3 cup of the hot stock and add a little more veggie stock if necessary to the bottom of pot.
- Once done remove the turkey loaf and cool on cutting board for at least 10 minutes. Slice thinly and serve. Or cool completely, refrigerate and slice as deli meat. Enjoy! Step by step photos in the above post if necessary.
Alternative cooking instructions in ‘Notes’ section
- If for some reason all the vital wheat gluten doesn’t all mix into the dough, don’t sweat it just keep mixing and kneading per recipe instructions. It will still work!
- If you don’t have a steamer insert use a steamer basket in a pot and cover with a piece of parchment paper then add the vegan roast.
- this recipe works in the oven also: add a steamer basket with a piece of parchment paper to a Dutch Oven or casserole dish with the veggie stock, cover and bake for 1 hour at 350°.
- If you don’t have a steamer insert or a basket you can make a tinfoil boat and place the roast on it, place in a Dutch Oven or casserole dish. Pour the veggie stock underneath the foil in the pot. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. The stock might bubble up into the foil boat but it still works and tastes delish!
Keywords: vegan turkey, vegan turkey recipe, vegan turkey loaf, seitan, seitan loaf, whole vegan turkey, moist, easy, flavourful, chew, holiday, thanksgiving, gravy, mushroom gravy,