This is the Best Vegan Turkey Recipe! Moist, flavourful with the perfect chew. Serve for your holiday main course with gravy or sliced as deli meat for your favourite veggie sandwich.
- 1 (541 mls) (18 fl oz) (equivalent of 2 cups) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, toasted or regular
- 2 tablespoons Braggs Liquid aminos ,can sub Tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Chicken Soup Base
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 1 and 1/2 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
- 3 cups vegetable stock ( for steaming roast)
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter + 1 tablespoon Tamari, Braggs, or soy sauce, reg or low sodium + 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth (I like better than bouillon no chicken soup base)
- Start by adding all the ingredients (except vital wheat gluten) to your food processor: chickpeas, water, bouillon, Braggs, seasonings, sesame oil and nutritional yeast. Process until smooth.
- Pour the puree into a large mixing bowl, scraping out as much as possible with a spatula. Add in the vital wheat gluten. Mix by hand until combined (it won't stick to your hands) Then kneed the dough 10-15 times. Shape into a log.
- Using a medium pot with a steamer insert. Place the turkey roll into the steamer part and fill the base of the pot with the veggie stock.
- Cover with the lid and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce to a good simmer and cook for 1 hour. Baste the roast after 30 minutes with a 1/3 cup of the hot stock and add a little more veggie stock if necessary to the bottom of pot.
- Once done remove the turkey loaf and cool on cutting board for at least 10 minutes. Slice thinly and serve. Or cool completely, refrigerate and slice as deli meat. Enjoy! (for best texture I recommend cooling in fridge overnight then continue with step 6) Step by step photos in the above post if necessary.
- Basting in Oven (optional extra step after steaming for more flavour and nicer presentation -this isn't in video): Preheat oven 375° Add whole steamed turkey to a small casserole dish not much bigger than roast. Pour in the veggie broth (don't add broth until oven is preheated). Brush on all melted butter mixture. Bake uncovered 35 minutes, basting half way through, add splash extra broth if needed.
Alternative cooking instructions in 'Notes' section
- If for some reason all the vital wheat gluten doesn't all mix into the dough, don't sweat it just keep mixing and kneading per recipe instructions. It will still work!
- If you don't have a steamer insert use a steamer basket in a pot and cover with a piece of parchment paper then add the vegan roast.
- this recipe works in the oven also: add a steamer basket with a piece of parchment paper to a Dutch Oven or casserole dish with the veggie stock, cover and bake for 1 hour at 350°.
- If you don't have a steamer insert or a basket you can make a tinfoil boat and place the roast on it, place in a Dutch Oven or casserole dish. Pour the veggie stock underneath the foil in the pot. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. The stock might bubble up into the foil boat but it still works and tastes delish!
- To make ahead of time: Yes you can make up to 1-2 days before hand (just the steaming method) cool to room temperature wrap and refrigerate. To reheat let sit out on counter for 20 minutes, make the basting sauce and follow baking instructions. FYI- once steamed the turkey is ready to eat like video
- To store and freeze: It will keep covered in the fridge for up to 5 days and freezes great, I like to portion and slice it first then wrap in plastic wrap add to a container and freeze.
- Gluten free: No this recipe can only be made with vital wheat gluten there no substitutions. So it is not gluten free.
- Instant Pot: you can use instant pot instead of steaming. Wrap turkey tightly in tin foil place on rack inside the Instant Pot. Add 2 and 1/2 cups of water. Close lid, set pressure valve to sealing, select the steam option Set it to 30 minutes. Press start. Once done let pressure release naturally. Then follow step 6 basting/baking instructions.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan turkey, vegan turkey recipe, vegan turkey loaf, seitan, seitan loaf, whole vegan turkey, moist, easy, flavourful, chew, holiday, thanksgiving, gravy, mushroom gravy,