These easy Vegan Banana Waffles are hearty, fluffy, and crispy! Made with bananas, coconut milk, and citrus, every bite is subtly sweet and so vibrant. Plus, they’re easy to make gluten free!
- 1 overripe banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 can coconut milk (not cream)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour, use gluten free if needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 and 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Add your peeled ripe banana to a large mixing bowl, mash it well with a fork
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix well
- Now add the dry ingredients on top starting with the flour. Whisk until smooth
- Place a dollop of batter in the middle of your pre-heated waffle iron and cook until the waffles are crisp and golden brown. This recipe should leave you with about 6 waffles, but you can easily double or even triple the batch.
- Enjoy with vegan butter, maple syrup, Macerated Strawberries and or fresh fruit. For step by step photos, Tips, FAQ, and serving suggestions see above post
- To store and freeze: waffles will keep covered in fridge for up to 5 days and to freeze wrap in plastic wrap or ziplock bag for up to 3 months in freezer. Just pop in toaster from frozen or reheat in microwave.
- Gluten free waffles: use gluten free flour such as Bob's Red mill
- I usually buy a carton of orange juice for this recipe but feel free to use freshly squeezed or sub lemon juice ( my daughter does this and loves it!)
- If your waffle mix is to thick add little plant milk (I like oat or almond milk), too thin add little flour.
- I have not tested this recipe with whole wheat flour but I'm sure it would be fine!
This recipe was originally published august 2019, it has been updated with better instructions and photos
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast/Baking, Gluten free, 30 Minute Vegan Recipes
- Method: waffle Iron
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan waffles, fluffy vegan waffles, vegan waffles apple sauce, easy vegan waffles, vegan waffles recipe, waffles, quick, delicious, everyday, best, vegan, healthy, oil free vegan waffles,