Tofu Bacon: tofu marinated in a sweet, salty, smoky, tangy sauce and baked to crispy chewy perfection! Easy, Crazy good, protein rich and gluten free.
- 1 package super firm tofu, pre pressed, (for more options see notes*)
- cooking oil spray
Bacon Tofu Marinade:
- 1/3 cup Tamari (haven't tried soy sauce or Lite Tamari with this recipe)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke, I use hickory flavoured
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Slice the tofu into 1/8 inch slices and add to a large ziplock bag or shallow dish like a pie plate. (the thinner you cut the tofu the faster it cooks 1/8 of an inch is perfect or slightly larger but no thinner than 1/8 of an inch)
- Whisk all the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Heat in the microwave or small pot until just simmering, you want it really hot. Pour the marinade over the tofu, making sure it’s evenly distributed. Let cool then remove the air from bag and seal. Marinade tofu for 30 minutes to 1 hour or overnight if you wish, turning the bag a few times. (For quick marinade version see Notes*)
- Preheat oven to 400° Spray a large non stick baking sheet with cooking spray (no parchment paper)
- Place the tofu one by one on the baking sheet. Baste each one with a little more marinade. Spray the tops with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes.( For pan fried or air fryer method see Notes*)
- Remove from the oven, flip the tofu pieces over using a fork. Baste with more marinade and spray with more cooking oil. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes or longer. Watch carefully so they don’t burn. I usually remove mine after 15-16 minutes total cooking time. (Depends on how thick you sliced the tofu).They will firm up as they cool.
- Enjoy! Try not to eat them all straight from the pan!! Step by step photos in a above post 🔼
- Delicious in a vegan BLT with avocado, or with tofu scramble and breakfast fries. Also great in a wrap or chopped in salads like caesar salad! Lots of choices! Super Tasty!!
- Tofu options: I mostly use super firm (pre pressed) tofu for this recipe I like the consistency the best but if you have smoked tofu it is also a delicious choice!! I have used extra firm tofu but it can be more finicky and can fall apart in the marinade if you’re not careful. Having said that try it if you like just press it for at least 20 minutes first!
- Quick marinade (this works well): add sliced tofu strips to a non stick shallow pan pour over marinade and simmer on medium to medium low heat for 7 minutes. Basting as you go. Continue from Step 3.
- Pan Fried Tofu Bacon: add marinated tofu to a non stick pan with some oil. Cook in batches over medium to medium low heat for a few minutes on each side. (Baste as you go), until you’re happy with the texture.
- For oil free: I prefer using my cooking oil spray but it will work without oil, just won't be as crispy. Make sure to line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Air Fryer Method: My daughter does this❤️ Add marinated tofu to air fryer in batches. Spray with cooking oil spray (opt) Cook at 400° for 13-20 minutes. Watch carefully from 13 minutes and on to prevent burning.
- To reheat Tofu Bacon: add a little reserved marinade and warm in the oven or microwave for a few minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes (doesn't include marinating time)
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast & Baking, gluten free, Snacks & Sides,
- Method: Oven or stovetop
- Cuisine: Canadian, American
Keywords: tofu bacon, vegan bacon, meatless bacon, smoky, sweet, recipe,