This glossy and elegant Vegan Pecan Pie will be a show-stopper during the holidays. With a rich caramel flavor and nutty, sweet filling, there is no dessert that will blow you away as much as this one.
- simple vegan pie crust or use store bought
1/2 cup canned coconut cream or full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons brown cane sugar or brown sugar lightly packed
Splash of bourbon (1 to 2 tablespoons -completely optional)
2 and 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
Zest of 1 small orange
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 cups raw pecan halves, rough chopped plus a small handful unchopped for garnish if you like
- Prepare pie crust according to instructions, press into pie plate and refrigerate until needed (or use a store bought 9 inch unbaked crust). Then preheat oven to 350°
In a medium-size saucepan (pot) stir together all the ingredients -except the pecans- until the cornstarch is mixed in and dissolved.
Bring mixture to a low boil over medium-heat while stirring or whisking constantly. Let cook for 1 to 2 minutes until slightly thickened (like caramel), it won't be very thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans.
Pour the filling into the prepared pie plate and spread evenly. Add a few pecans to the middle of the pie in a decorative pattern if you like. I usually make a small flower pattern (9-10 pecan halves)
Bake for 35 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is thickened and bubbling.
Let cool to room temperature on a cooling rack on the countertop then move to the fridge to firm up the filling (an hour or so) . Serve warm or cold with vegan whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy! For step by step photos, tips and more see above post.
- Store: the pie will keep covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: pie can be frozen for 2-3 months, wrapped well. Thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
- Bourbon is completely optional and the pie is incredibly delicious with or without it.
- For gluten free vegan pecan pie use a gluten free pie crust. (recipe coming next😊)
- Sprinkle a wee bit of sea salt before serving for a sweet salty contrast
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Stovetop and oven
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan pecan pie