This glossy and elegant Vegan Pecan Pie will be a show-stopper during the holidays. With a rich caramel flavor and nutty, sweet filling, there is no dessert that will blow you away as much as this one.
If there’s one pie (other than Vegan Pumpkin Pie, of course) you need to have at the holiday dinner, it’s this Vegan Pecan Pie. It’s sensationally sweet and salty, and packed to the brim with pecans. Top each slice with a dollop of vegan whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and you have the best crowd-pleasing dessert.
In traditional pecan pie recipes, the filling is made with eggs, butter, and corn syrup. And while my vegan version is inspired by this recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction, it’s made with completely different ingredients (that aren’t complicated).
You’ll find simple ingredients, like coconut cream, maple syrup, cornstarch, cinnamon, and brown sugar in the filling. A little orange zest brightens it up white a splash of bourbon enhances every bite. Maple syrup is what really highlights the warmth and comfort.
The filling is thick and sweet, just like caramel. Pecans add a salty bite throughout, and the homemade buttery crust is the perfect finisher. Good luck stopping after one slice!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Pie crust - My simple vegan pie crust is easy to make from scratch and perfect for this pie. It becomes soft, buttery, and flaky when baked, and doesn’t need to be blind-baked beforehand. To keep this recipe as quick and easy as possible, use a storebought vegan-friendly pie crust instead.
- Coconut cream - You can use full fat coconut milk instead. The creamy white part near the top of the can and a small amount of liquid is ok to use.
- Maple syrup - For extra sweetness and warmth. Make sure you use real maple syrup for the very best flavor (it’s crucial here!).
- Vegan butter
- Brown sugar - Both brown cane sugar and regular brown sugar can be used.
- Bourbon - A splash of bourbon is added to the filling to enhance its deep, rich flavors. You can leave it out if you want.
- Cornstarch - This is a crucial thickener in the filling.
- Orange zest - Optional, but adds a refreshing brightness and helps to balance the caramel filling.
- Vanilla extract
- Raw pecan halves - Because it just isn’t a pecan pie without a heap of pecans.
How to make a vegan pecan pie
Step 2: Make the caramel filling. Add all of the ingredients (except the pecans) to a saucepan on the stove. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it’s slightly thick (just like caramel).
Step 3: Add the pecans. Take the pot off the heat and stir in the pecans.
Step 4: Assemble and bake. Pour the pecan filling into the pie dish. Spread it into an even layer and add a few pecans on top or in the middle for decoration. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is thickened and bubbling.
Step 5: Let it cool. Leave the pie to cool completely at room temperature. Transfer it to the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour. Once it’s firm, slice and top with vegan whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. Enjoy! For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below.
Tips for success
- To make a gluten free pecan pie, substitute the vegan pie crust for your favorite gluten free pie crust.
- You can use another dairy free milk if you don’t have coconut cream or milk.
- If the filling still looks runny after the 35-minute bake time, give it plenty of time to set in the fridge (at least 2 hours). It should set and thicken after cooling!
- Pecan pie is delicious when served either warm or cold. To serve warm slices, heat them individually in the microwave for up to 30 seconds.
Store: Baked pecan pie can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Wrap the baked pie in plastic and tin foil and freeze for 2 to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge before serving.
Want more vegan holiday desserts?
- Salted Caramel & Pecan Bars
- Easy Vegan Apple Pie
- Pumpkin Bread
- Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Chocolate Pudding
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print