This vegan ham is the best vegetarian alternative to real ham made with wheat gluten and tofu! Delicious juicy meaty Tofurky style seitan roast recipe for your plant based holiday meal or slice as deli meat for ham sandwiches! So easy!
- 2 teaspoons better than bouillon vegetarian no beef soup base (vegan)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, toasted
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 package (400 grams) extra firm tofu
- a few drops of red food colouring (optional for colour)
- 1 and 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- whole cloves (for decorating- optional)
- 1 teaspoon better than beef bouillon
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- To make mock ham: Drain tofu, wrap in paper towels and squeeze out extra moisture with your hands. Break into chunks and add to food processor with rest of ingredients EXCEPT GLUTEN and process until smooth like a puree
- Now add vital wheat gluten evenly over the top and mix until just combined, it's ok if you see a bit of flour on top.
- Turn dough onto counter and knead 20-25 times and form into a ham shaped loaf.
- Wrap tightly and completely with a large piece of tin foil and place in a steamer insert of a steamer pot. Fill the base of the pot with water making sure it doesn't touch the steamer insert. Cover and steam for 1 hour. Flip half way though cooking time and add more water if it's getting to low
- While ham is steaming preheat oven to 375° and whisk the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- To glaze and bake: Unwrap ham, place on cutting board. Score the ham in a crisscross pattern (shallow cuts) and decorate with whole cloves if desired. Place in a small casserole dish (just a little bigger than the roast) pour over the maple glaze. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes basting generously with the glaze every 10 minutes. Remove from oven spoon over more glaze. Cool for a couple minutes, slice and serve. Enjoy any night of the week or with all the holiday fixings like vegan scalloped potatoes, or mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cornbread, roasted vegetables, pumpkin pie for dessert! or slice thin for ham sandwiches! Mmm. For step by step photos see above post
- To make ahead of time: Yes you can make up to 1-2 days before hand (just the steaming method) cool to room temperature wrap and refrigerate. To reheat let sit out on counter for 20 minutes, make the glaze and follow baking instructions. FYI- once steamed the ham is ready to eat.
- To store and freeze: It will keep covered in the fridge for up to 5 days and freezes great, I like to portion and slice it first then wrap in plastic wrap add to a container and freeze.
- Gluten free: No this recipe can only be made with vital wheat gluten there are no substitutions. So it is not gluten free. if you're looking for gluten free main dish try my Vegan Meatloaf made with impossible burger
- Instant Pot: you can use instant pot instead of steaming. Place foil wrapped ham on rack inside the Instant Pot. Add 2 and 1/2 cups of water. Close lid, set pressure valve to sealing, select the steam option Set it to 30 minutes. Press start. Once done let pressure release naturally.
Cooking method inspired by Hidden Veggies
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Category: Mains, Vegan Holiday Recipes,
- Method: Stovetop and oven
- Cuisine: American, Canadian,
Keywords: vegan ham, seitan ham, Tofurky roast,