Incredible Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole! Savoury not sweet with crunchy buttery pecan topping. Classic holiday side that no one would guess is vegan. No marshmallows or added sugar. Gluten free option.
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes (about 3 large)*
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened oat milk*
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Roast potatoes: Slice sweet potatoes in half length wise and place cut side down on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour or until potatoes are very tender. Test with a fork or knife for doneness. Remove from oven. Peel off the skin and place in a large bowl with the vegan butter, milk, garlic, Chili Powder and salt and pepper. Mash until smooth with potato masher. Taste for seasoning and adjust to suit your taste if needed.
- Make Topping: While potatoes are roasting make the topping, add the chopped pecans, bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, herbs and salt and pepper to a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the melted vegan butter until combined (I use my hand). Set aside.
- Assemble and Bake: Reduce oven temp to 350° Grease an 8x11 casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour in the mashed sweet potatoes and spread evenly in the dish. Sprinkle pecan topping evenly over the potatoes. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minute until topping is browning nicely. Enjoy! Lovely served with all the holiday fixings like vegan ham or turkey, green bean casserole, veggies, stuffing, mashed potatoes , or scalloped, gravy and of course cranberry sauce😊! For step by step photos see above post
- make sure to purchase bright orange fleshed sweet potatoes not the yellow variety. and yes I roughly weigh mine for this recipe
- dairy free milk: I use oat milk but any unsweetened plant milk will work like almond milk, even canned coconut milk will work
- Make ahead: add prepared sweet potatoes to casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to cook let come to room temperature add topping and bake.
- Storing and leftovers: leftovers will keep covered in the fridge for up to 5 days and I don't recommend freezing. They reheat well in the microwave or oven and are wonderful the next morning for breakfast with vegan scrambled eggs and hash browns- Yum!
- Gluten free: use gluten free Panko bread crumbs
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 85 Minutes
- Category: Snacks & Sides, Vegan Holiday Recipes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Canadian
Keywords: vegan sweet potato casserole, savoury sweet potato casserole, savoury, easy,