Incredible Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole! Savoury not sweet with crunchy buttery pecan topping. Classic holiday side that no one would guess is vegan. No marshmallows or added sugar. Gluten free option.
A popular holiday food for everyone’s table - Sweet potato casserole with pecan topping. We always serve these mashed sweet potatoes with our Thanksgiving and Christmas meal.
My savoury vegan version is a healthier spin on the traditional sweet potato casserole that’s typically made with a marshmallow or maple syrup pecan crumble that tastes more like a dessert pie. (I’ll share that one in the future 😊)
I much prefer my recipe that isn’t laden with brown sugar. And I think you’ll agree once you taste it, with butter, garlic, little hit of chili in the filling and out of this world crispy topping with fresh herbs, pecans and more...
It’s so good, easy to make and can be prepped ahead of time. A Total crowd pleaser! and it's not just for the November- December holiday season folks this dish is wonderful any night of the week in the fall and winter months! says me! 😊 oh and no food processor needed!
and if you're a lover of sweet potatoes like me check out my Simple Vegan Buddha Bowl which really show cases them👍
Ingredients and substitutions for sweet potato casserole:
- roasted sweet potatoes: use bright orange coloured not yellow, and bake don't boil them!
- dairy free milk: I use oat milk adds creamy element, can use any unsweetened plant milk, even canned coconut milk will work!
- vegan butter: adds richness
- salt and pepper: compliments the sweetness and brings all the flavours together
- chopped pecans: great nutty flavour and crunch, can substitute walnuts but I really do prefer pecans for this recipe. For nut allergies could use a mix of sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds (haven't tried but bet it would be great!)
- Panko bread crumbs: great texture and flavour use gluten free if needed
- nutritional yeast: adds a cheesy umami element
- Rosemary and thyme: fresh herbs are amazing in this dish
- vegan butter: adds great flavour and binds everything together
- garlic and Chili Powder: compliments the sweetness perfectly
- salt and pepper: for seasoning (no cinnamon, nutmeg or other warm spices needed you'll see (save that for the sweet version👍)
How to make savoury sweet potato casserole:
You’ll love this easy recipe!
- Preheat oven to 400° line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Roast potatoes: Slice sweet potatoes in half length wise and place cut side down on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour or until potatoes are very tender. Test with a fork or knife for doneness. Remove from oven. Peel off the skin and place in a large bowl with the vegan butter, milk, spices and salt and pepper. Mash until smooth with potato masher.
- Make Topping: While potatoes are roasting make the topping, add the chopped pecans, bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, herbs and salt and pepper to a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the melted vegan butter until combined (I use my hand). Set aside.
- Assemble and Bake: Reduce oven temp to 350° Grease an 8x11 casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour in the mashed sweet potatoes and spread evenly in the dish. Sprinkle pecan topping evenly over the potatoes. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minute until topping is browning nicely. Enjoy! Lovely served with all the holiday fixings like vegan ham or turkey, green bean casserole, veggies, stuffing, mashed potatoes , or scalloped, gravy and of course cranberry sauce😊!
- For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below.
To make ahead:
- add prepared sweet potatoes to casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to cook let come to room temperature add topping and bake.
For storing and leftovers:
- sweet potato casserole leftovers will keep covered in the fridge for up to 5 days and I don't recommend freezing. They reheat well in the microwave or oven and are wonderful the next morning for breakfast with vegan scrambled eggs and hash browns- Yum!
Pro tips for savoury sweet potato casserole:
- purchase bright orange fleshed sweet potatoes not the yellow variety
- always roast the sweet potatoes, they retain all their flavour that way, never boil them!
- Make sure potatoes are perfectly cooked and tender before mashing, no one wants hard lumps!
This sweet potato casserole is:
- super simple
- so flavourful
- perfect side dish for any night of the week
- lovely for the holidays
- perfect along side any main course
Enjoy you guys! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Want more vegan holiday side dishes? Check these recipes out:
- Garlic and Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms
- Roasted Vegetables Medley (Thanksgiving Side Dish
- Best Vegan Mac and Cheese (Easy 20 Minute Recipe)
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes (Instant Pot)
- The Best Vegan Stuffing Ever! (Easy Recipe)
- Vegan Potato Salad (Vegan mayonnaise & Dill)