This Jamaican Vegetable Soup is a delicious hearty, warming soup with authentic flavours from the Caribbean islands. Easy to make with homemade jerk seasoning, potato, corn, red beans, vegan ‘sausage’ or ‘chicken’. Instant Pot/Stovetop. Nut Free, gluten free.
Wait till you taste my Jamaican soup recipe! It is super tasty and crazy addictive Caribbean soup made from scratch! Approaching stardom I think- oh yay👍! It is filled with veggies, jerk seasoning and optional plant based meat (beyond sausage). It is a vegan soup but no one would ever guess it in a million years!! Best of all it’s made in the instant pot and can be mild or spicy -Simple dimple folks! Says me😊
It’s a Jamaican chicken soup made vegan!! Super comforting to warm your soul during the fall and winter months!
What ingredients are in Jamaican Soup?
Some versions of Traditional Jamaican soups are prepared with chicken (foot), or beef, dumplings and veggies like, pumpkin, red peas, chocho, turnip, and cock mix which has similar flavours as my jerk seasoning blend. And is served on Saturdays in the Caribbean. They call it “Saturday Soup”
My vegetarian version is made with potatoes, (opt sweet potatoes/pumpkin), corn, red beans, green pepper, onion, celery, fresh herbs, coconut milk, vegetable bouillon, homemade jerk seasoning, optional vegan ‘sausage’ or ‘chicken’. It is dynamite!! Cook it in a jiffy in the instant pot!
How to make Jamaican vegetable soup:
- First mix all the spices together for the jerk seasoning and add to spice jar, set aside. (You will only need half for this recipe) Gather rest of ingredients and prep the vegetables.
- Instant Pot: Add the onion, celery, peppers, oil and pinch of salt and pepper to instant pot. Press ‘Saute’ and set for 5 minutes. When done stir in garlic and jerk seasoning. Then add water, bouillon, beans, corn and potatoes.
- Close the lid and turn valve to ‘sealing’. Set to ‘pressure cook’. Set timer (plus-minus buttons) for 5 minutes. It will take 10 minutes or so to come to pressure before timer starts. (cook sausages while waiting if using)
- When 5 minutes are up, with an oven mitt quickly turn valve to ‘venting’ and once all steam is released and pin has dropped remove lid. Stir in vegan sausages or chicken, coconut milk, cilantro and lime juice. Taste for seasonings add salt, pepper and/or more jerk mix if needed. Ladle into bowls and enjoy! Serve with my No Knead Artisan Bread!! For full ingredients and stovetop instructions see recipe card below
Jamaican Soup Q & A:
Is Jamaican soup healthy?
- Yes! My Jamaican soup is super healthy loaded with vegetables. I can’t guarantee all the recipes out there are good for you as some are cooked with meat like chicken, beef or lamb and could have added unnecessary fat.
Can soup be frozen?
- Absolutely! It will keep covered in fridge for up to 4 days and freezes well.
Can I use store bought jerk seasoning?
- Yes of course you can use store bought if needed (like walkerswood or grace brands, haven't used them in years) but I can’t guarantee the flavour outcome and they are usually very spicy made with scotch bonnet peppers. Using my homemade blend you can control the heat and make the soup as mild or spicy as you want.
Can I add dumplings to Jamaican soup?
- Yes it’s totally up to you if you’re a dumpling fan go for it! I recommend making them for the stovetop version. (Haven’t tried in instant pot)
Pro tips for perfect Jamaican soup:
- Don't chop potatoes/sweet potatoes to small or they will overcook in the instant pot
- Use my homemade jerk blend it is super tasty and you can control the heat, mild or spicy up to you!
- make sure spices are fresh and haven’t been in your cupboard for years
Ok Let’s make some vegetable soup, Jamaican style! It’s:
- mild or spicy!
- incredibly flavourful
- kid friendly
- full of vegetables
- an easy instant pot recipe!
- hearty & satisfying
Enjoy you guys! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Want more hearty soup recipes? Check these out:
- Incredible Roasted Vegan Cauliflower Soup (Easy Recipe)
- Everyday Lentil Soup
- Hearty Homemade Vegan Corn Chowder
- Mexican Bean Soup
- Best Vegan Split Pea Soup (Slow cooker option)
- Classic Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup – Wickedly Good!