This one pot Vegan Corn Chowder recipe is easy to make on the stove, in the Instant Pot, or in a slow cooker. It’s smoky, creamy, and the best late summer meal.
Cozy up to a bowl of this Vegan Corn Chowder! Potatoes, sweet corn, and even more vegetables are simmered together in a creamy Cajun-infused broth. Make it extra creamy with coconut milk and enjoy!
There’s something about a creamy bowl of corn chowder with potatoes that screams “late summer”. Maybe it’s the sweet corn that’s ripe and in season or the smoky undertones that remind you of summer barbecues. Regardless, corn chowder is one of the best summer meals ever (but it’s just as easy to eat year-round).
Just like my Vegan Minestrone Soup, corn chowder is made entirely in one pot. For an even more hands-off approach, make it in the Instant Pot or slow cooker! All three methods leave you with bowls of satisfying, subtly spicy, and addicting soup.
Ingredients and substitutions
Corn chowder is a vegetable-heavy soup, but it’s the extra ingredients that bring complexity to every bite:
- Corn - Fresh sweet corn makes this soup pop. It’s typically abundant in grocery stores and farmer’s markets throughout late summer and early fall. When corn isn’t in season, use canned or frozen corn instead.
- Potatoes - I used Yukon gold potatoes for their creamy starchiness and natural thickening ability, but Russet or red potatoes will also work.
- Soup vegetables - Like onion, red bell pepper, celery, and carrots. I also like to add a can of diced green chilies for a touch of heat.
- Broth - You can use vegetable broth or vegan chicken broth.
- Cajun seasoning and liquid smoke - You can make your own cajun seasoning blend using the list of spices in the recipe card. Both the spices and liquid smoke add a complex smoky dimension to the soup, helping to balance the sweet and creamy bites.
- Vinegar - White vinegar or the brine from a jar of pickled peppers brightens it up.
- Coconut milk - Or cashew cream. It’s added at the end to give this chowder its signature creamy texture.
How to husk and prepare fresh corn
Shuck the corn husk and remove all of the fine silk by hand or with a clean brush. Stand the ear of corn upright and slice off the kernels from the top to the bottom (you can chop off the tip to help it balance). Do this all the way around until all of the kernels are removed.
How to make vegan corn chowder
Making corn chowder on the stove is done in one pot in just three easy steps:
- Saute the vegetables: Add the onions, celery, and peppers to an oiled soup pot and saute until they start to soften.
- Add the rest: Next, stir in the rest of the ingredients (except for the liquid smoke, vinegar, and coconut milk). Bring it up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and leave it to cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Make it creamy, then serve: Take the pot off the heat and stir in the vinegar, liquid smoke, and coconut milk. Adjust the seasonings to taste, then enjoy. For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below.
Would you rather make it in the Instant Pot or slow cooker? Scroll down to the FAQs section to learn how!
Corn chowder toppings
It just isn’t a bowl of corn chowder without the toppings! Add any of these on top of your bowl:
- Crumbled tofu bacon
- Diced tomatoes
- Pickled jalapenos
- Pico de gallo
- Green onions
- Charred corn kernels
Frequently asked questions
Yes! Begin by sauteing the onions, celery, and peppers in the Instant Pot on Saute mode. Once they’re soft, turn off Saute mode and stir in the rest of the ingredients (except liquid smoke, vinegar, and coconut milk). Seal the lid, set the valve to the 'sealing' position, and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
Quick release the remaining pressure and carefully remove the lid once the pin has dropped. Stir in the liquid smoke, vinegar, and coconut milk, then enjoy.
Yes, slow cooker corn chowder is very hands-off. Just add all of the ingredients (except liquid smoke, vinegar, and coconut milk) to the crockpot, cover with a lid, and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours. Once the potatoes are fork tender, stir in the vinegar, liquid smoke, and coconut milk, then serve.
There are two key ways of thickening corn chowder: 1) Pour two ladles of soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour it back into the pot and add the vinegar, liquid smoke, and coconut milk. 2) Whisk 2 or 3 tablespoons of cornstarch or flour with water to make a slurry, then stir it into the soup.
Storing and freezing
To store: Transfer the leftover soup to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
To freeze: You can freeze corn chowder once it’s cool for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge, then reheat in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.
More hearty vegan soup recipes
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Vegan Hamburger Soup
- Italian Lentil Soup
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print