Quick and easy vegan pudding! Whip up this rich creamy classic chocolate dessert recipe in 10 minutes with a few simple pantry ingredients! Way better than store bought! Perfect snack cups for kids lunchbox or after dinner treat! No avocado or tofu. Gluten free
Vegan chocolate pudding! yes please!! Full of chocolate-y goodness minus the dairy and eggs! No one would guess it’s vegan! This delicious scratch made dairy free chocolate pudding recipe is a tweak on my moms traditional easy chocolate pudding that she made for years (she made a mean vanilla & butterscotch pudding too)
This pudding was extremely simple to make using oat milk and vegan butter to replace the dairy. And hey dark chocolate never hurts either- nor does vegan whipped cream mmm!
So say no to store bought pudding and hey most brands aren't vegan anyway.
Perfect for holidays and special occasions like Valentines’ day, Christmas etc,… or just because your craving chocolate and need a quick fix! This never lasts long in the fridge which says a lot!
-And if you love silky chocolate desserts check out my healthy vegan chocolate mousse pie- it's fabulous!
Vegan Pudding Ingredients:
- Chocolate and cocoa: I used Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder, dark chocolate dairy free chocolate bar
- Oat milk: perfect for this. have not used any other plant based milk, like almond milk, soy milk or canned coconut milk
- Vegan butter: adds to rich creamy element
- Sugar: dark brown sugar is my choice adds a richness. I prefer it to white sugar
- Corn starch: a must to thicken the pudding, I don’t use tapioca flour, arrowroot powder or agar
- Vanilla and almond extract: adds wonderful depth of flavour
- Salt: enhances chocolate and makes flavours pop
How to make vegan chocolate pudding:
- In a heavy saucepan combine cocoa, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add cold milk and whisk until combined and cornstarch is dissolved
- Place pot on stovetop over medium heat. Whisk constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes while whisking constantly
- Remove from heat stir in butter, chocolate and extracts
- Using spatula Immediately pour into dessert cups or serving bowl. Gently place a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of each pudding. This prevents a skin from forming as it cools. Chill in fridge to set up. Enjoy chilled or slightly warm!
- Serve with a dollop of coconut whipped cream topping and chocolate shavings (recommended) or vegan ice cream if that's your thing😊 For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below
Is vegan chocolate pudding healthy?
- That depends! there are numerous recipes for dairy free pudding, some with avocado or tofu which add health benefits and protein. some use maple syrup or coconut sugar. My recipe is old school and uses sugar, cocoa and chocolate
Why is my pudding grainy?
- corn starch needs to be completely dissolved in the cold milk first to prevent lumps and also pudding needs to boil long enough for the sugar to completely dissolve
How long does pudding keep?
- Will keep covered in fridge for up to a week and can easily be made a day ahead prior to serving
- Make sure cornstarch is dissolved in the cold milk first to prevent lumps from forming when pudding starts to thicken Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding right after it's poured into cups so a skin doesn’t form on the top
- place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding right after its poured into cups so a skin doesn’t form on the top
This pudding is:
- Light and silky
- Super chocolatey!
- Rich and creamy
- Kid friendly
- Lovely family dessert
- Gluten free
- easily nut free
- Awesome for meal prep snacks
- ready in no time!
More chocolate recipes:
- Healthy Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
- Vegan Chocolate Mousse Pie (No Bake)
- Homemade Dairy Free Chocolates (In Molds)
- Instant Vegan Hot Chocolate - Better Than Starbucks!
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Bars Recipe!
- Chocolate Vegan Mug Cake
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake EVER! (Easy Recipe)
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print