Vegan Gingerbread Cookies! Perfect soft chewy gingerbread full of ginger and spice for your holiday cookie platter. Classic easy to make recipe made vegan! Decorate with royal icing and candies or chocolate!
How about some vegan gingerbread! These ginger cookies are super tasty and no one would ever guess they’re vegan! Yup eggless and dairy free! Wonderfully festive for the holiday season.
I always use my gingerbread men cookie cutter for this recipe. It’s a classic Christmas cookie and December wouldn’t be complete without them! Every kid would agree!
This gingerbread recipe is really straight forward and the dough is wonderful to work with. Simple to roll out and you can chill the dough or not it’s up to you! I never do. Patience was never my thing haha!
Boom! you’ve got yourself pliable gingerbread dough just ready to bake into perfect gingerbread cookies!
Your family will thank you! Says me😊 these are delicious as is but I like to add some royal icing, candies like skittles or chocolate chips! Let’s get baking!
Vegan gingerbread ingredients:
The main ingredients for this cookie recipe are molasses (unsulfured) vegan butter and flour, brown sugar, little applesauce to replace the egg and of course your ginger which can be ground or fresh ginger, your choice and then your leaveners baking soda and powder more warm spices; cinnamon, cloves and a pinch of salt.
What kind of molasses do you use for gingerbread cookies?
Unsulfured Cooking molasses is typically used for gingerbread cookies it is dark and delicious made from pure sugarcane juice. Blackstrap molasses is not unsulfured and can be bitter in baking so only use it if it is specifically stated in the recipe. I buy Crosby’s 100% natural unsulfured fancy cooking molasses (Canada) for my cookies. Grandma’s molasses is very popular in baking too.
How to make vegan gingerbread cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350° line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt, baking powder and soda in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle, cream the vegan butter until light and fluffy add the brown sugar, cream until light and fluffy
- Add in the molasses, apple sauce, vanilla, beat until combined. Add in half the flour and mix in. Switch to a wooden spoon and incorporate the rest of the flour, using your hand to mix at the end. (Dough shouldn’t be sticky if it is add more flour tablespoon at a time. I have never had to do this) Knead until dough comes together. divide into two disks
- Place first dough disk on a large piece of parchment paper and roll out with rolling pin between ⅛-1/4 inch thick. If dough is sticking lightly flour your rolling pin. Add to a tray and chill in fridge for 15 minutes (this is optional it will work without chilling too). Using cookie cutter cut into shapes. Reroll dough scraps and cut out more shapes
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheet one inch apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes ( I bake for 8 minutes I like them soft) Let cool on baking sheet for a couple of minutes then transfer to cooling rack. Repeat with second dough
- Cool completely then frost, decorate with candies or chocolate chips. Or just dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!! Makes abut 30-34 cookies -more or less depending on size of your cookie cutters
- Royal icing: whisk frosting ingredients in a bowl. If too thick add a little plant milk or water, too thin add more powdered sugar, add to piping bag or spread on the cookies. For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below
Pro tips for perfect vegan gingerbread cookies:
- If molasses is really cold warm in microwave for a few seconds to make pouring easier
- spray measuring cup with cooking oil spray before adding molasses and it won’t stick and pours out effortlessly
- For softer cookies bake less for crispier bake longer
These gingerbread cookies are:
- soft and chewy
- festive and fun
- favourite kids cookie!
- easy to make
- classic Christmas cookie
- perfect to decorate with icing, candies and chocolate chips
Enjoy you guys! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Want more Vegan Christmas Cookies, bars and balls? Check these recipes out:
- Chewy Vegan Sugar Cookies
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Bars Recipe!
- Chocolate Coconut Date Balls (No Bake) (Vegan+GF)
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies (Easy 1 bowl recipe)
- Salted Caramel & Pecan Vegan Shortbread Bars
- Best & Easiest Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- Raw Vegan Brownies (Healthy No Bake Recipe, GF)
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies – Seriously Tasty!