This is seriously The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe ever! They’re rich, chewy, loaded with chocolate and walnuts, made in one bowl, and are ready to eat in just 30 minutes. You’ll be hooked after just one bite!
You won’t be able to get enough of these vegan chocolate chip cookies. Crispy edges, buttery on the inside, and full of luscious chocolate and crunchy walnuts… It’s no wonder why they call them The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies!
There’s something so special about chocolate chip cookies. They’re a childhood classic and extremely popular for good reason! I wanted to take these vegan cookies up a notch and make a traditional recipe new again with a few flavor enhancers like:
- Instant coffee
The depth and richness in each bite is to die for! Made with both traditional and non-traditional ingredients, this chocolate chip cookie recipe is still completely foolproof, mixed together in one bowl, and even freezer-friendly (perfect for hiding a secret stash). You’ll be hooked!
Easy vegan chocolate chip cookie ingredients
- Flour - Both all purpose flour and a 1:1 gluten free flour blend (like Bob’s Red Mill) work well.
- Vegan butter - Melted vegan butter helps these cookies turn out super moist, rich, and chewy. Melted coconut oil should also work well, but make sure to use refined oil to avoid the strong coconut flavors.
- Sugars - A combination of brown and white sugar add sweet, caramelly notes to these chocolatey cookies.
- Milk - Unsweetened almond milk, oat, coconut, or soy milk will all work nicely.
- Instant coffee - Just like in my Raw Vegan Brownies, a little instant coffee in these cookies helps the sweetness in the chocolate chips to really shine. If you’re worried about the caffeine, you can use decaf instant coffee or leave it out entirely.
- Molasses - You’ll find unsulfured molasses in almost any classic chocolate chip cookie recipe. It’s necessary for those rich caramel flavors!
- Vegan chocolate chips - Of course!
- Chopped walnuts - These are optional, but add a nice crunch.
- Cinnamon - For warm and comforting flavors.
How to make vegan chocolate chip cookies
These soft and chewy vegan chocolate chip cookies are rich, flavorful, chocolatey, and delicious! You can easily make a batch in one bowl and in less than 30 minutes:
- Combine the wet ingredients: Whisk the melted vegan butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and molasses together in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients: On top of your butter mixture, layer the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and instant coffee. Use a wooden spoon to stir until everything is just combined. Gently fold in your chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Form and flatten the cookies: Use a spoon to scoop about 3 tablespoons worth of dough onto a baking sheet. Flatten each cookie dough pile slightly with the bottom of a measuring cup.
- Bake and enjoy: Bake the cookies until the middles are set and the edges are beginning to brown and crisp. Let them cool for a few minutes out of the oven, then enjoy!
Tips for success
- Melted butter = moist, chewy cookies!
- Be very careful not to overmix the cookie dough. Overmixing will cause extra gluten to form, resulting in gummy or dense cookies.
- You can mix the cookies by hand or use a standing mixer on low speed.
- Do you like your cookies extra crispy? Try replacing the brown sugar with additional white sugar or leave them in the oven for an extra 3 to 5 minutes.
- If you want to make this recipe nut free, you can omit the walnuts completely or replace them with extra chocolate chips or other mix-ins.
Customize your cookie mix-ins
These thick and chewy cookies can easily be customized by swapping out the chocolate chips and walnuts for other fun add-ins, like:
- Vegan white chocolate chips
- Dollops of peanut butter
- Chocolate chunks
- Crushed pretzels
- Potato chips
- Vegan peanut butter cups
- Dried fruit
- Coconut flakes
- Maple syrup
- Macadamia nuts
- Vegan marshmallows
Frequently asked questions
This could be happening because the dough is too soft and warm. To prevent this, try chilling your chocolate chip cookie dough in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes before scooping and baking, or the butter to flour ratio could be off. I personally like them thinner😊
Absolutely! To make these vegan chocolate chip cookies gluten free, simply swap out the all purpose flour for a 1:1 gluten free flour blend. Almond flour will not work.
You should be able to find vegan chocolate chips at most grocery stores or specialty stores. If you aren’t having any luck, chop up a dark chocolate bar instead.
Storing and freezing vegan cookies
To store, place the chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container and store at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To freeze, place the baked and cooled cookies in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can also freeze the raw cookie dough in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic for up to 3 months.
More vegan cookie recipes you’ll love
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Classic Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- Chewy Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Shortbread Cookies
- Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print