Vegan Haluski (Cabbage and Noodles): Fried cabbage, buttery noodles, sauerkraut and smoky vegan bacon crumbles tossed together for a simple and delicious comfort food meal the whole family will enjoy!
Ok who has heard of Haluski? Or as I call it Fried Cabbage and Noodles! Well if you haven’t you're in for a treat! My Mom made this Hungarian/Polish dish for us kids growing up (no we’re not Hungarian my Mom was actually Scottish😂)
It was an affordable and delicious dinner and she usually added either ground sausage, beef, ground pork or bacon. My brothers and I loved it!
My vegan version is made using eggless broad noodles, cabbage, sauerkraut and onions. I used Gardein Beefless Crumbles, liquid smoke and other various ingredients in place of bacon. It’s seriously tasty and couldn’t be easier!!
And what s great way to get your kids to eat cabbage!
What is Haluski? (pronounced ha-loosh-key)
It’s a Simple comfort food dish that is typically made with either egg noodles and fried cabbage, or potato dumplings with pork cooked with cabbage and goats cheese. Its origins stem from central and eastern Europe: Poland, Hungary and The Ukraine and there are different variations some with bacon or sausage added like kielbasa.
How do you prepare Vegan Haluski (Cabbage and Noodles)?
Place a large non stick skillet on the stove and set to medium heat, once hot add the vegan butter, and frozen Gardein crumbles. Cook, stirring until the crumbles have defrosted and are browning up a bit, about 3-5 minutes. Add them to the bowl of sauce you made earlier and mix well. Set aside
In the same pan add another tablespoon of butter the sliced onions and salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat for 3 minutes.
Add the last tablespoon of vegan butter and cabbage. Saute for 8-10 minutes or until cabbage is cooked to your liking. Stir in the vegan bacon crumbles, and sauerkraut. Cook for a minute or so until everything is warmed through. Cover and set side.
While your cabbage is cooking prepare the noodles according to package instructions, drain and add to the cabbage mixture. Mix it all together. Season with additional salt and black pepper if needed. Enjoy! For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below.
Tips and Variations for Vegan Haluski:
- don't overcook the pasta!
- have the noodles ready right around the same time as the cabbage (or a little after) so you can drain and add.
- use any pasta just make sure it's 6-8 oz and no more (about ½ a lb)
- Low carb: leave out the noodles and add another cup or so of shredded cabbage and add some grated carrots too if you like!
- Gluten free: use gluten free pasta or use the low carb option.
- Plant based meatless options: use ½ package of beyond meatless ground (so good) in place of Gardein or your favourite meatless crumbles like soya mince or TVP (textured vegetable protein). Chopped and fried vegan sausage would be tasty! Crumbled and fried tofu would work too!
- leave out the vegan bacon altogether and just have straight up cabbage and noodles!
Can you freeze Cabbage and Noodles?
Cabbage and Noodles will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days and can be frozen. Freeze leftovers in a large ziplock freezer bag, squeezing out as much air as possible before storing. It will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To reheat from frozen: defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or frying pan, add a splash of veggie stock if necessary.
OK GUYS LETS MAKE CABBAGE AND NOODLES, THEY'RE:
quick and easy
easily gluten free
perfect family dinner
Enjoy guys! Happy day to you! feel free to leave a comment and a rating below. I would love to hear from you.
WANT MORE COMFORTING & EASY VEGAN DINNER RECIPES? CHECK THESE OUT!
- The Ultimate Vegan Mac and Cheese (Daiya)
- The Best Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- Vegan Hamburger Helper (Instant Pot or Stovetop)
- Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Pasta (Tomato Sauce) (Vegan)
- Hearty Vegetable Stew (Vegan) (Slow Cooker Option)
- Ultimate Vegan Chili Recipe
- Chinese Vegetable Chow Mein (Authentic Flavours)
- Best Vegan Bolognese Sauce Ever!
- Vegetable Chickpea Indian Curry (Coconut Milk) (Vegan)