This Hummus Pasta recipe puts a lighter spin on the viral baked feta pasta recipe. Hummus and pesto are baked with a medley of Mediterranean vegetables, then tossed together with cooked pasta. It’s a creamy and easy dinner you’ll love!
Have you been lucky enough to try the viral baked feta pasta recipe yet? Feta cheese (vegan or regular) is baked with cherry tomatoes, then stirred together with pasta when it’s all hot and melty.
This Hummus Pasta recipe puts a lighter spin on the original creamy dream of a dinner by replacing the cheese with, you guessed it: hummus!
It’s a creamy, nutty, and indulgent meal that’s bursting with Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flavors. Plus, it’s the perfect way to use up that big batch of leftover homemade hummus and basil pesto in your fridge. It’s so easy to throw it together in no time. The entire process is practically hands-off!
You’re going to love this hummus pasta recipe because it’s:
- Dairy free, nut free, and easy to make gluten free.
- Easy to throw together in less than 1 hour.
- Bursting with herbaceous and indulgent flavors.
- A light, yet luscious and creamy alternative to the cheesy baked feta pasta.
Ingredients and substitutions
This is a simple, yet beautifully flavored pasta dinner. It captures the flavors of the Middle East and the Mediterranean by combining creamy pasta with tangy vegetables and pesto.
These are the ingredients you need:
- Pasta - Both short and long cut pasta noodles will work well. The more ridges on the pasta, the more sauce you’ll scoop up with every bite!
- Hummus - Upgrade this dish by using a flavored hummus, such as roasted garlic, roasted red pepper, or sun dried tomato. If you have the time, make a batch of homemade hummus instead. It’s packed full of garlicky, nutty flavors you can’t usually find in the storebought stuff.
- Mediterranean vegetables - Like cherry tomatoes, marinated artichokes, cremini mushrooms, and garlic.
- Vegan pesto - Stirring in a few tablespoons of vegan basil pesto enhances the herbaceous notes while reminding you of this dish's Mediterranean roots.
- Italian seasoning - A pre-mixed dry blend is easiest.
How to make hummus pasta
- Roast the vegetables: Toss the tomatoes, mushrooms, artichokes, and garlic together with the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and olive oil in a baking dish. Make a well in the center and add the hummus and pesto (do not mix). Roast in the oven.
- Cook the pasta: Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling water while you wait on the veggies. Save about 1 cup of pasta water, then drain the rest once the pasta is al dente.
- Make the hummus pasta sauce: Once the vegetables are done roasting, stir them all together and gently mash the tomatoes to create a sauce.
- Mix it all together: Add the pasta into the dish with the vegetables. Stir as you slowly pour in the reserved pasta water until the sauce thickens and fully coats the pasta noodles. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve: Transfer the baked hummus pasta into bowls and top with lemon wedges, chopped basil, and red pepper flakes. Enjoy! For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below.
Tips for making this pasta recipe
- For a low carb version, swap the pasta for zucchini noodles or make it with cauliflower rice instead.
- If you’re gluten free, use your favorite gluten free pasta noodles.
- The pesto is optional, but so delicious! It gives the hummus pasta sauce an herby and cheesy kick (without the dairy).
- Keep the veggies as-is or mix it up! Keep it simple by only roasting cherry tomatoes and garlic, or take it up a notch and add zucchini, onions, asparagus, green beans, or bell peppers.
- Don’t add all of the pasta water at once. Instead, slowly drizzle it in with the roasted vegetables and hummus until the sauce thickens. Add too much and the sauce will be watery.
Once your pasta is ready, you can add all kinds of toppings to enhance each bite. My toppings of choice are lemon wedges, fresh basil, and a pinch of red chili flakes. You could also add sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, and vegan parmesan cheese.
Hungry for more vegan pasta recipes?
- Vegan Lemon Asparagus Pasta
- Easy Vegan Spaghetti
- The Finest Vegan Lasagna
- Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Garlic Pasta
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print