Brussels Sprout Salad: shredded brussels sprouts with dried cranberries, crisp apples, smoked almonds, tossed in a simple delicious sweet & tangy maple mustard vinaigrette! Naturally vegan. Perfect side salad for lunch, fall and the holidays. Serve cold. Bon appetite!
Brussels Sprout Salad:
OMG wait until you taste this salad! you’ll love it- it is out of this world tasty! With crunchy textures and fresh bright flavours. Crisp juicy chopped apples, dried cranberries, hickory smoked almonds, sunflower seeds, red onion all tossed with a base of raw shredded Brussels sprouts and dressed with an easy homemade maple dijon dressing.
And if you’re a “I don’t like brussels sprouts person” a bowl of this salad will change your mind and it’s a great way to enjoy these little veggies with your holiday meal too! Brilliant right!! No need to roast them- have a fresh coleslaw instead!
I’m more inclined to make this Brussel sprout slaw in the fall and winter months like November December rather than summer. And like I said it’s a wonderful pairing with Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner! Says my family!
I used to add either parmesan or feta and crumbled bacon to this salad and am quite pleased how tasty it is without those additions. It is addicting for sure!
Ingredients needed & substitutions:
- Brussels sprouts: I prefer to slice them fresh myself rather than using pre shredded bags at the grocery stores, they just taste better.
- Dried cranberries: can substitute dried cherries, which are also brilliant in this, I just find them hard to find and more expensive
- Chopped apple: I usually use gala apples but any variety will work!
- Almonds: I love the hickory smoked almonds for this recipe which I buy at Walmart. Regular toasted almonds, pecans or walnuts are a fine alternative
- Sunflower seeds: I like them roasted and salted in this salad. Pumpkin seeds are lovely too!
- Red onion
- Oil: I use grapeseed but any neutral oil would work, olive oil, canola etc…
- Maple syrup: can replace with sugar or sweetener of choice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice and zest : could use orange juice & zest
- Dijon mustard: I’m sure regular yellow mustard would work in a pinch if needed!
- Granulated garlic and onion
- Salt and pepper
How to make brussels sprouts salad:
- Prepare brussels sprouts: Trim the ends, wash and thinly slice and rough chop or use slice attachment on your food processor. Add to your salad bowl along with nuts, seeds, onions, cranberries, almonds, and apples.
- Dressing: add vinaigrette ingredients to a jar, seal and shake or whisk in a small bowl
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine (top with vegan feta if using). Serve and enjoy! For full recipe ingredients and instructions see recipe card below
Can you eat raw Brussels sprouts in salad?
- Yes you can! Brussels sprouts aren't just for roasting they're wonderful in coleslaws and make a nice change from using cabbage and broccoli like my recipe in this post!
Can you make this salad ahead of time?
- Absolutely! just keep the components separate in the fridge until needed and chop the apple and add the dressing just before serving.
Hope you love this brussel sprouts salad, its:
- a wonderful fall salad
- easy to make
- great addition to so many dishes
- super tasty!
- crunchy tangy and addicting!
- excellent along side your holiday feast
Enjoy you guys! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Want more simple fresh salads? Check these recipes out:
- Curried Quinoa Salad
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Best & Easiest Vegan Broccoli Salad
- Easy Vegan Coleslaw
- Vegan Potato Salad (Vegan mayonnaise & Dill)
- 15 Minute Cowboy Caviar (AKA Texas Caviar)