This Instant Pot Vegetable Soup is a hearty and nutritious weeknight meal full of vegetables, tomatoes, and simple herbs and spices. Easy to make entirely in the pressure cooker and ready in 20 minutes! Stovetop instructions included.
This Instant Pot Vegetable Soup is a quick 20-minute meal that’s hearty and nutritious. Full of vegetables, tomatoes, and warm seasonings, this is a classic soup that’s sure to please anyone.
You’ll find a medley of vegetables here already, but you can mix and match the ingredients any way you like. Add vegan meat, beans, more fresh herbs, frozen vegetables, and anything else you like to personalize the recipe. It’s a classic Instant Pot vegan soup you can have lots of fun with.
The process is easy, too. Mix everything together, cook, and sit back while the Instant Pot does all the work! And if you love this vegan vegetable soup, you’ll be a fan of my Vegan Minestrone Soup and Vegan Italian Wedding Soup as well.
Ingredients and substitutions
Each bite of this vegan vegetable soup is hearty and comforting. It’s made with classic cozy soup ingredients, like:
- Onion and garlic - Sauteed onion and garlic start the soup with a savory baseline of flavor.
- Carrots and celery - These classic soup veggies are sauteed along with the onion and garlic.
- Vegetable broth - Use a quality boxed broth, organic veggie bouillon paste, or cubes with water. Vegan chicken broth is also fantastic (no chicken bouillon paste + water).
- Diced tomatoes - Regular tomatoes are acidic and slightly sweet, and fire roasted tomatoes will add a bit of heat. Use what you prefer!
- Tomato sauce - Pizza sauce will work just as well.
- Vegetables - The vegetable soup is jam-packed with cabbage, potatoes, and corn. Feel free to get creative and use the fresh or frozen vegetables you love!
- Herbs and seasonings - You need fresh parsley, Italian seasoning, fennel powder, celery salt, salt, and black pepper.
How to make Instant Pot vegetable soup
Step 1: Saute the aromatics. Heat some oil in the Instant Pot on Saute mode, then add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook until they’re soft and fragrant.
Step 2: Cook. Cancel Saute mode and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Lock the lid in place and cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Finish, then serve. Once the time is up and all of the pressure has been released, take off the lid and stir in the rest of the parsley. Taste and add any salt or pepper as needed. Scoop into bowls, serve with homemade artisan bread and crackers, then enjoy!
Can you make it on the stove instead?
This recipe is easy to make both in the Instant Pot and on the stove. Find the stovetop directions in the Notes of the recipe card.
Get creative and customize the soup with more add-ins and flavor boosters:
- Mix up the veggies. Add 1/2 cup frozen or fresh chopped green beans or frozen green peas, stir in a handful of spinach at the end, swap the yellow potatoes for sweet potatoes or rutabaga/turnip, and if you don’t have cabbage, use chopped cauliflower instead.
- Add vegan meat. Saute pieces of vegan chicken, rehydrated soy curls, or marinated tofu with the onions and garlic at the beginning.
- Add beans. A can of red kidney beans or chickpeas will give the soup lots of protein.
- Play with the flavors. Amp up the flavor with a good pinch of garlic and/or onion powder.
- Noodle soup. Cook short pasta noodles or orzo pasta on the side if you’re craving vegan noodle soup. Store the extra noodles separately from the soup to prevent them from absorbing all of the liquid.
Fresh bread is a must! Serve each bowl of soup with slices of buttered artisan bread, dinner rolls, or breadsticks. Soup crackers are always delicious, too.
Store: Let the soup cool, then store the batch of leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
Freeze: Transfer the cooled soup to a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag. It freezes well for up to 6 months. When it’s time to reheat, thaw the batch in the fridge and reheat in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.
Looking for more vegan soup recipes?
All of these vegan soup recipes are easy to make in the Instant Pot and on the stove:
- Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Italian Lentil Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print