This Olive Garden copycat Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli Soup is perfectly savory and comforting. Full of beans, Italian flavors, and pasta, this is the best soup to make during cold winter days.
Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli Soup (pasta and bean soup) is one of the most hearty, comforting, and savory soups you’ll have the pleasure of eating. It’s packed with delicious Italian flavors and is a breeze to make in the Instant Pot or on the stove!
Just like my Vegan Zuppa Toscana, this pasta e fagioli is my vegan take on a classic Olive Garden recipe. The original is made with ham hock and white beans, and has the texture of both soup and chili in one delicious dish. My vegan pasta e fagioli soup is just as delicious but made with extra vegetables, vegan-friendly broth, and two types of beans.
There’s something for everyone in this big bowl of comfort! The soup is:
- Hearty, savory, and warming
- Full of healthy vegetables and beans
- Freezer-friendly and delicious as leftovers
- Even better than the meat-filled original
Vegan pasta e fagioli ingredients
- Vegetables - You need your typical soup vegetables, like onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and diced tomatoes.
- Beans - Beans are a must in every pasta e fagioli soup. For this recipe, I used both red and white kidney beans but you could use great Northern beans, black beans, chickpeas, or any other bean you love. Use canned beans to make the cooking process as quick and easy as possible.
- Pasta - Ditalini pasta preferably, or another small pasta like elbow macaroni, shells, or orzo. Gluten free if needed.
- Seasonings - You’ll need dried Italian seasonings, like oregano, thyme, ground fennel, and celery salt and fresh parsley
- Vegan chicken broth - Like no chicken bouillon. If you can’t find vegan chicken broth, you can use vegetable broth instead.
- Dry white wine - For a pop of brightness. To make this soup without alcohol, replace the wine with more broth.
How to make pasta e fagioli in the Instant Pot
I made this recipe in my 6 quart Instant Pot but it can also be done on the stove top! Keep scrolling for the stove top instructions.
Here’s how to make pasta e fagioli in the Instant Pot:
Saute the vegetables: With your Instant Pot on Saute mode, saute the onions, carrots, and celery in olive oil until soft and tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute before adding the wine.
- Cook the soup: Cancel Saute mode and add the pasta and the rest of the soup ingredients. Seal the lid and pressure cook on High for 4 minutes. When it’s done, quick release the pressure until the pin has dropped.
- Adjust the flavors: Stir the soup and taste. Season with salt, pepper, and vinegar or lemon juice if needed.
- Serve and enjoy: Serve the bowls of soup with vegan parmesan cheese on top and enjoy! For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below
Pasta e fagioli add ins
Any of these add ins will give your Italian soup extra savoriness and texture:
- Nutritional yeast
- Vegan ground beef
- Liquid smoke
- Vegan hot Italian sausages
- Leftover vegan chicken
- Fresh herbs
Frequently asked questions
A traditional pasta e fagioli recipe is made with ham hock, parmesan rind, and beans. This gives it a much heartier, savory flavor than vegetable-forward minestrone soup. The two definitely have their similarities, as both recipes are Italian and made with beans, noodles, tomatoes, and vegetables.
Saute the onions, carrots, and celery in a large pot with oil over medium heat. When they’re soft, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and let it simmer until it reduces slightly.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot (except the pasta and beans), cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Afterward, stir in the pasta and beans and cook until it’s al dente. Adjust the flavors when the soup is ready, then serve and enjoy!
What goes well with pasta e fagioli?
This is a hearty soup that’s best served with vegan parmesan cheese on top and crusty bread or focaccia on the side. If you want to make it a meal, serve a bowl next to a side salad and club sandwich.
Storing and freezing pasta e fagioli
To store, transfer the cooled soup to an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
To freeze, leave the noodles out of the soup or else they’ll soak in too much broth and become mushy when thawed. You can freeze the noodle-less soup in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
Hungry for more hearty soup recipes?
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print