Skip the frozen fries and learn How to Make French Fries in the Air Fryer instead! This foolproof method will give you healthy, tasty, and crispy fries in just 20 minutes. Seasoned with a homemade seasoning blend, the fries make for a great appetizer, side dish, or snack.
Learning How to Make French Fries in the Air Fryer is the quickest, easiest, and all-around best way to make homemade french fries! All you need are 3 simple ingredients and 20 minutes. In no time, you’ll have an appetizer, snack, or side dish that’s so popular, you won’t be able to keep them on the table!
Everyone loves french fries, but that love grows deeper when they’re made with fluffy Russet potatoes, a little oil, and flavor enhancers. I used my homemade french fry seasoning to take these naturally delicious french fries from good to great. You can do the same or even mix up the flavors using the other fun seasoning ideas I’ve included.
Air fryer french fry ingredients
- Russet potatoes - I find Russet potatoes to be the best when making homemade french fries because they cook quickly, don’t absorb too much oil, and turn out crispy on the outside with a fluffy inside.
- Oil - Olive oil, grapeseed, vegetable oil, or avocado oil are my go-to's.
- French fry seasoning - This bold blend of spices is easy to put together and takes the fries up a notch! Feel free to skip the homemade french fry seasoning if you prefer just salt and pepper.
How to make homemade french fries in the air fryer
These homemade air fryer french fries come together quickly and make for a fun snack or easy side dish! They can be made in just 4 simple steps:
- Prep the potatoes: Slice your potatoes into sticks and rinse under cold water. Pat them dry with paper towels.
- Season the fries: Transfer the rinsed fries to a large bowl. Toss them together with oil and half of the french fry seasoning.
- Air fry: Place the seasoned fries into the air fryer basket and cook until crisped to your liking. Don’t forget to shake the basket periodically to ensure an even fry.
- Garnish and enjoy: Once the fries have finished frying, move them to a serving platter and sprinkle them with the remaining seasoning. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces and enjoy! For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below.
Don’t have an air fryer? These crispy and salty homemade french fries can easily be made in the oven:
- Prepare and season the potatoes: Just like in the air fryer version, slice, rinse, dry, oil, and season the Russet potatoes.
- Bake: Spread the seasoned fries evenly over a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in a 425°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Don’t forget to flip the fries halfway through the baking time!
- Serve and enjoy: Allow the baked fries to cool slightly before tossing them with the remaining seasoning. Serve warm and enjoy!
Tips for success
- Be sure to slice your potatoes into thin strips that are no wider than ¼-inch. This will ensure an even fry and the perfect texture.
- Add the additional seasoning immediately after cooking! If you wait too long, your homemade spice blend won’t stick to the potatoes.
- I use a 5.8 qt capacity air fryer. If your fryer is smaller, you’ll likely need to cook your fries in two separate batches.
- Take the time to weigh your potatoes. This recipe only calls for enough oil and seasoning to properly coat one pound of potatoes and also if you overload your fryer the fries won't be as crispy.
More fun ways to season homemade fries
Think of homemade fries as a blank canvas. I love pairing them with my classic french fry seasoning, but you can get pretty creative with other flavors:
- Make parmesan garlic fries by seasoning your potatoes with vegan parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast and a bit of minced garlic.
- Season your fries with a blend of Cajun-style seasonings like paprika, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, white pepper, onion powder, oregano, red chili flakes, and cayenne.
- Create Italian herb fries by tossing your potatoes in a mixture of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley, thyme, and garlic powder.
Frequently asked questions
It isn’t necessary. Some recipes require you to soak the chopped potatoes in water for 30 minutes prior to frying, but the results are just as delicious if you skip this step.
These homemade french fries are best cooked at 380°F in the air fryer.
You can make these air fryer french fries without oil, but I don’t recommend it. They’ll still turn golden brown and the flavor will be good, but they won’t get as crispy and will be dryer.
Looking for more savory vegan snacks?
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print