It just isn’t a party without these Vegan Air Fryer Breaded Mushrooms! Easy to make, juicy, and full of flavor, breaded mushrooms are perfect for dipping in your favorite sauces and passing around at the party. Air fryer and baking instructions included.
Crispy Vegan Air Fryer Breaded Mushrooms are battered, breaded, then air fried until they’re super crunchy and golden brown! Each bite is juicy and packed full of flavor thanks to a seasoned breadcrumb coating. As a bonus, they’re easy make ahead of time, ensuring you have a great time at the party instead of being stuck in the kitchen.
Even though the mushrooms are air fried and made with virtually no oil, they taste just like deep fried mushrooms. The breadcrumb coating is adapted from my zucchini fries because it’s so crispy and perfectly seasoned. Make sure you serve them with vegan ranch dressing for dipping so they stand out at the party!
Air fried mushroom ingredients
- Mushrooms - Use small cremini mushrooms for a bite-sized and juicy snack.
- Flour - To coat the mushrooms. If you need the recipe to be gluten free, try substituting the all purpose flour with rice flour. It’s what I use to make my buffalo cauliflower, which always turns out well!
- Milk - Any unsweetened dairy free milk will do!
- Panko breadcrumbs - Or use regular breadcrumbs or gluten free breadcrumbs.
- Spices - Use a mix of Old Bay, garlic powder, onion powder, and celery salt to season the breadcrumb coating.
How to make vegan breaded mushrooms in the air fryer
These breaded mushrooms are really easy to make in both the air fryer and oven. Here’s how it’s done:
- Clean the mushrooms: Gently wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel.
- Make the batter: Whisk the milk, flour, mustard, and salt together in a medium sized mixing bowl until it’s a smooth batter.
- Make the panko breading: Mix the breadcrumbs and spices together in a shallow pan.
- Coat the mushrooms: Dip one mushroom in the wet batter, then coat in breadcrumbs. Repeat until you run out of mushrooms.
- Air fry: Cook the breaded mushrooms in the air fryer until they’re golden brown and crisp.
- Season and enjoy: Sprinkle the fried mushrooms with seasoning salt, then serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy! For full ingredients and instructions see printable recipe card below.
Can you bake breaded mushrooms in the oven?
If you don’t have an air fryer, the breaded mushrooms are easy to bake instead. Dredge them in the batter and breadcrumbs as normal, then lay the mushrooms on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in a 400°F oven for 22-25 minutes or until crispy, flipping halfway through.
Tips for success
- Make sure the mushrooms you use are evenly sized. This will ensure they cook evenly and you don’t run out of batter.
- Cook the mushrooms in 2 or 3 batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- The mushrooms will be very hot inside so let them rest for a few minutes when they’re done!
How to serve breaded mushrooms
Crispy breaded mushrooms are a delicious snack or appetizer you can serve at parties and on game day. Once they’re done cooking, put them on a platter with plenty of dipping sauce options. They’re particularly delicious when dipped in:
- Vegan ranch dressing
- Tartar sauce
- Tempura sauce
- Chipotle mayo
- Warm marinara sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Caesar dressing
Can you make breaded mushrooms ahead of time?
The air fried mushrooms are best served fresh, but you can make them 1 day ahead or freeze them if you’d like to save some time. See storing and freezing instructions below.
Storing and freezing
To store: Keep the leftover air fried mushrooms in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 or 2 days.
To freeze: Batter the mushrooms and place them on a lined baking sheet. Place them in the freezer and, when frozen solid, transfer them to a ziplock bag. Cook the frozen mushrooms right from frozen (they may need an extra 1 or 2 minutes in the air fryer).
To reheat: Crispy battered mushrooms are best when they’re reheated in the air fryer or oven.
Looking for more vegan party snacks?
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Vegan Tofu Nuggets
- Easy Vegan Cheese Ball
- Vegan Nachos Supreme
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print