If you're looking for a delicious and healthy vegan recipe that's both filling and flavorful, then you're in the right place! Today, we're going to make a roasted vegetable rice salad with hummus that's perfect for lunch or dinner.
This dish is not only packed with nutrition, but it's also full of flavors that will leave you feeling satisfied and energized.
If you like this but want just the veggies, check out this recipe for roasted potatoes and carrots. So tasty!
Below you will find the salad ingredients as well as a separate list for the hummus dressing. Full quantities can be seen in the recipe card below.
For the salad:
- Red pepper
- Red onion
- Vegan feta
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
For the hummus dressing:
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium saucepan, add the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the rice, and fry, stirring regularly, for 2 to 3 minutes. Then, add the water, and cook until the rice is soft and the water has been absorbed. This usually takes 7 to 10 minutes.
Prepare the vegetables by washing, peeling, and cutting them into bite-sized pieces.
Place them onto the prepared baking sheet. Then, drizzle with olive oil, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Toss to coat, then bake for 30 minutes until soft and golden brown. Once cooked, set them aside to cool until ready to serve.
Now, combine the chickpeas, olive oil, salt, and black pepper together and set aside.
While the vegetables are cooking, whisk together the hummus, lemon juice, olive oil, water, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to make the dressing.
To serve, layer the lettuce and vegetables with the rice, chickpeas, and vegan feta. Toss and serve with dressing drizzled over the top.
Don't have all of these ingredients on hand? Don't worry! Below are some easy substitutes you can make for this recipe.
- Vegetables: Feel free to swap out any of the vegetables for others that you like or have on hand. Broccoli, sweet potato, eggplant, and mushrooms are all good options. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Rice: If you prefer a different type of rice, such as brown or wild, you can use that instead of white rice.
- Vegan feta: You can substitute the vegan feta for another type of vegan cheese or omit it altogether.
- Hummus: You can use any flavor of hummus that you like for the dressing, such as roasted red pepper or garlic. If you don't have hummus on hand, you can make a simple vinaigrette with olive oil, lemon juice, and vinegar.
- Spices: You can adjust the spices to your liking or use different ones altogether. For example, you could use cumin, chili powder, or smoked paprika instead of garlic powder.
There are many ways to vary this roasted vegetable rice salad with hummus recipe to keep it interesting and suit your taste preferences. Here are some ideas:
- Try different vegetables, such as broccoli, eggplant, kale, or sweet potatoes.
- Add some fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro, or basil to the salad for added flavor.
- Toasted almonds, pine nuts, or pumpkin seeds would be a great addition to this salad.
- Instead of using hummus, try a tahini dressing or a balsamic vinaigrette.
- If you want to add some extra protein, you could add some grilled tofu or tempeh to the salad.
- Instead of rice, try using quinoa or farro for a different flavor and texture.
- Medium saucepan
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
This roasted vegetable rice salad is good for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Just store it in an airtight container. It is, however, best to store the dressing separately.
If you cannot finish the salad in the time recommended, it can be frozen for up to 3 months. I recommend storing the vegetables and rice separately.
While it may change the texture slightly, you can reheat it in the oven to add crispness back once thawed from frozen.
💭 Top Tip
When making this recipe, make sure that you don't overcrowd the baking sheet. Let the vegetables have an even layer and not overlap so they get crisp on all of the edges.
Absolutely. Just reheat with a little extra broth or water and use as directed in the recipe above.
Yes! The air fryer will typically have a smaller basket or tray, so you may have to do this in a few batches, depending on how many veggies you use. Just reduce the heat to 360°F and roast for 4 minutes, shake/turn, and continue roasting for another 4 to 5 minutes.
If you enjoy this recipe, then check out some more favorites below!
Not sure what to serve alongside this salad? The great thing is it can be a meal by itself, but also pairs great with one of these other dishes for a larger meal.
Roasted Vegetable Rice Salad With Hummus
For the salad:
- First, preheat your oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, heat up some olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the rice and sauté it for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly. Then, add water and let the rice cook until it's soft and the water has been absorbed. This usually takes around 7 to 10 minutes.
- Next, it's time to prepare the veggies. Wash, peel, and cut them into bite-sized pieces and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Give everything a good toss to ensure even coating, and then roast for around 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender and golden brown. Once done, set them aside to cool until ready to serve.
- While the veggies are cooking, it's time to prepare the chickpeas. Combine them with olive oil, salt, and black pepper, and set them aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hummus, lemon juice, olive oil, water, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to make a delicious dressing.
- Now, it's time to put it all together. Layer the lettuce, roasted vegetables, and rice in a large bowl. Add in the seasoned chickpeas and vegan feta. Toss everything together until well combined.
- If vegan feta isn't available, use our recipe to make your own homemade vegan feta.
- Keep the hot and cold ingredients separate until time to serve.
- Store the dressing separately to prevent the vegetables from getting soggy.
Are you following food safety guidelines in your kitchen? Take a moment to check out our top tips below.
- Always sanitize countertops, cutting boards, utensils, and cookware thoroughly between each use.
- Wash your hands in warm soapy water, rubbing for at least 20 seconds before rinsing. Remember, "FROG" means friction rubs off germs.
- After serving food, allow it to cool, then place it into the refrigerator or proper storage immediately. Food should be at room temperature for no more than 2 hours for safety.