Tofu Feta (Vegan Feta Cheese) is easy to make using cubed tofu and an herbaceous Greek-style brine. It’s soft and crumbly just like real feta and bursting with classic Mediterranean flavors. Use it after a few hours on salads, in wraps, and more!
Did you know that you can make realistic Greek-style Tofu Feta using a brick of tofu and a handful of pantry staple ingredients? It’s true! This vegan feta recipe is easy to make in less than 10 minutes and always turns out tasting cheesy, briny, and salty!
There are two components to this tofu feta recipe:
- Pressed and cubed extra firm tofu;
- And a tangy brine made from vinegar, lemon juice, and herbs.
The tofu sits in the vibrant, Mediterranean-flavored brine for 12 to 48 hours before it’s ready to be used. The finished result is a little crumbly, soft, and tastes just like a classic salty feta cheese.
Use it anytime your meals could use an extra burst of flavor. It’s especially delicious in vegan Greek salads and gyro wraps, and even fits in vegan pasta salad, Mexican corn salad, watermelon and feta salad, and so much more!
Ingredients you need
- Extra firm tofu - Only firm or extra firm tofu will work for this recipe. Regular feta is dry and crumbly, and firm tofu is best at replicating this texture.
- White vinegar - This is the base of the brine. White vinegar is best here but you could try using apple cider vinegar instead.
- Olive oil - Try not to skip it! Oil adds some fat into the brine, giving the tofu feta a rich flavor and soft texture.
- Lemon juice - Freshly squeezed is best.
- White miso paste - Or leave it out if you don’t have any at home.
- Dried herbs - A mix of nutritional yeast, fresh garlic, garlic salt, onion powder, and Italian seasonings work hard to help the cheese turn out tasting salty, cheesy, and herbaceous. Feel free to add red chili flakes for a little spice!
Pro tip: Add kalamata, green, or black olives in with the brine. It’s the best way to take this classic Mediterranean ingredient up a notch.
How to make tofu feta
Before you begin, press the brick of tofu in a few layers of paper towel or with a tofu press. This will remove any excess moisture, resulting in a well-seasoned and crumbly vegan feta!
Making dairy free feta cheese at home is easy:
- Make the Greek marinade: Whisk all of the tofu marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Marinate the tofu: Pour the marinade over the pressed and cubed tofu in a container. Stir to coat, then cover with a lid and leave it to marinate.
- Serve and enjoy: The tofu feta cheese is ready to eat after 12 hours (or let it marinate for 24-48 hours for the best results). Use it on Greek salads, grain bowls, or on a vegan charcuterie board and enjoy!
Adding olives to your batch of tofu feta? Toss them into the brine after the tofu is done marinating.
Tips for success
- Don’t skip the press! Pressed tofu contains less moisture, helping the texture firm up and soak in the flavors of the brine.
- Marinating time - The tofu should sit in the marinade for at least 12 hours before use. For the best results, let it marinate for 24 or 48 hours.
- Leftover marinade lying around? Re-use it for another batch! Just keep it in a sealed container in the fridge until you’re ready to make more feta.
Ways to use vegan feta cheese
- As a briny and tangy topping on vegan Greek salads.
- Stuff it into vegan gyros with homemade tzatziki.
- With olives, pita bread, crackers, and vegetables on a vegan charcuterie board.
- In a vegan watermelon feta salad.
- Topped on a sliced baguette or crackers with olives, red chili flakes, and sun dried tomatoes.
- In vegan pasta salad or quinoa salad.
- In this Mexican street corn salad.
- On the side or sprinkled on top of corn on the cob.
- Stirred into bright and creamy vegan pasta, like lemon asparagus pasta.
- As a topping on roasted Greek potatoes.
- On Greek-style flatbread pizzas.
Tofu feta will last for up to 1 week when stored in the brine. Keep the container covered and in the fridge to keep it fresher longer.
Want more vegan cheese recipes?
- The Best Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Vegan Ricotta Cheese
- Best Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Easy Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Easy Vegan Cheese Ball
Enjoy everyone! Happy Day! Please feel free to comment below and give this recipe a rating. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!Print